• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a slot in ACEs? Sign Up Here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Paul (aka Musiqlover) has contacted the head of the ACEs program down in Pensacola, and basically needs 10 people that are interested in going so that they can form an ACEs class. He already has 4 people, and only needs 6 more.

quote:For SNA'S and SNFO'S,

My name is Paul, and I have been trying VERY hard to get a slot at ACES. For those who don't know, ACES is a week long program that SNA'S AND SNFO'S can go to in Pensacola before you go to OCS. During that week you get to take a ride in a T34, ride in a simulator, get your flight physical, and do a PRT. Besides the fact that it helps you feel better about being qualified as a pilot or NFO and is FUN, the Navy will fly you in and even pay for your food and housing for the week I believe.

Here is the problem. They HAVE to have 10 people in order to have a class.

If you are interested, or have any questions, this is the place to post them.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So what the heck is ACEs, and what happens there? Well, Vicki Wildman, another member of the Forum who is currently at OCS right now, took the time a while back to help answer some of those questions, here is what she had to say on the subject:

quote:I went to Pensacola for the ACES program of May 14th through May 19th, 2000. There were only nine of us which we were told was unusual. There are usually about thirty people per session. Things were a little more laid back and we were able to pick some of our own scheduling since there were fewer people to coordinate. I'll try to highlight what we did and answer questions that I know I had about the program.

Sunday - I flew to Pensacola via US Air (not a military plane - one of my initial thoughts). My Naval Recruiting District picked up the tab for the ticket. I was met at the airport by an LT who was our tour guide / chauffeur / facilitator/ nanny. We rounded up the rest of the crew who came from all over the US, got in a van and drove to NAS Pensacola. We checked into BEQ (tab also picked up by recruiting). BEQ was much, much nicer than I thought it would be - kind of like a moderately priced one bedroom apartment. We met up with another candidate who was local (Jacksonville) and had decided to drive in. We also met up with a "stash" ensign whose job it was to show us around and answer questions. (A "stash" job is a temporary duty given to pass time between phases in training. In this case, between OCS and API). Anyway, our "stash" was a great resource about OCS questions as he had just graduated last week. We stuffed ourselves with pizza and got to know each other. No food or water after 1800 to prepare for fasted bloodwork tomorrow morning as part of our class I flight physical.

Monday - We reported to the lobby of the BEQ at 0530 because we were told we had to be at NAMI at 0600 for our physicals. There was nobody there to even let us in until 0700. The rest of the day was spent getting every part of your body inspected (like the MEPs physical only more thorough and less humiliating - you aren't left feeling like an animal pushed through meat inspection prior to slaughter). Things that were different from MEPs included a more thorough series of eye exams, a chest x-ray, a dental exam (including X-rays) and measurement of various body parts by a machine that looks like a medieval torture device. These measurements or anthropometrics were the same ones taken by your recruiter when you submitted your original package only they are more precise. The whole morning was spent starving (no food in 18 hours) and needing to pee (nobody went because they were afraid that they wouldn't be able to pee in the cup later if thay did). Finally, it was lunch time. We had bagged lunches that we ate on a Navy-owned beach. We sunbathed for an hour or so which would have been great except that our eyes were dilated (direct Florida sun not recommended). After lunch we finished up our physicals, met with the flight docs and found out whether or not we were PQ to fly. Almost everybody was considered NPQ because of needed wisdom teeth pulling or teeth cleaning. You get a form that you have to have your dentist sign after pulling teeth, cleaning etc, than you are ok. We were assured that although we were all NPQ we would still get a T-34 ride on Thursday. Wheew! We went to bed early, exhausted, after the obligatory viewing of Top Gun in someones's room.

Tuesday - We drove out to the flight line. Some of us (myself and one other person) needed fit checks in the cockpits of various training aircraft. We both were cleared and our next stop was a big warehouse. There we were given flightsuits, boots and gloves. The rest of the program was completed in flight suits. This is a very effective method of psychological warfare. If you weren't convinced before strut around NAS Pensacola in a flight suit for a few days and you know you're the sh**!

Back out at the flightline we watched the Blues practice - awe inspiring. We toured the Naval Aviation Museum. All the little kids there are staring at us in our flight suits - this is somewhat embarrassing and somewhat fun. Next we toured a flight deck mockup. There we took each others' picture in a decommissioned Tomcat and played with ejection seats and human sized and weighted dummies that are used for rescue training. We also got to tour the OCS facilities. We ate lunch in OCS chow. This had to be seen to be believed! Let's just say I can tell why all the dishes are plastic there. After lunch we met with the OCS director who told us about the program. After he left, a DI came over and "introduced" himself to us. LT was with us at the time and he only half-kiddingly told us afterwards that he was terrified. Actually, the hard part was keeping a straight face because this guy was dead serious even though he sounded hilarious. That night we went out in Pensacola. We went to this place on the beach. There was a guy sitting on the beach playing a guitar that I will go to my grave believing was Jimmy Buffet.

Wednesday - We had our PRT first thing in the morning. The standards they hold us to our those required to begin API, not just the ones to start OCS. They are a little bit tougher, but still very doable. We did pushups and situps in the gym and then the 1.5 mile run is three laps around a cross-country course. After that we went to the pool. We practiced the four survival strokes, traeding water and drownproofing. We all got to do the tower jump and see people do the helo hoist, Dilbert dunker and multi-place (helo) egress dunker. After lunch we went to the sims where we went over things like the five point harness and cockpit communications. We then were talked through a start up, takeoff and basics, including trim etc., we landed (most of us successfully) and talked about our sim flight with our instructors. We were all pretty keyed up for our flight tomorrow. We had steak and lobster at the O-Club and a drink in the "Ready Room" - the bar at the O-Club. One of the neatest things there is a wooden case with all the NFO in training's wings inside. NFOs are actually winged in Pensacola (NAs are not), so there sit their Wings of Gold, gleaming in the display case, a tangible reminder of what their sweat and sacrifice will bring. Nobody did too much drinking lest the airsickness gods be angered tomorrow.

Thursday - The day we had all been waiting for. We went to the training wing's headquarters and received a lecture on aviation physiology. We talked about airsickness and G-LOC (G induced loss of consciousness). We were taught an anti-G manuever (hook manuever) and went over T-34 bailout procedures. Next we practiced said bailout in a T-34 parked on the flightline. Finally the moment of truth was upon us. The nine of us in the ready room were as keyed up as long-tailed cats in a room full of rocking chairs. We went downstairs and were given helmets, survival vests and oxygen masks. Much joking and laughter and instructions not to puke in the oxygen masks. Next stop the T-34C Turbo-Mentor (or Tormentor, depending on how you looked at it). We were told that it was pretty turbulent that day and the SNFOs sitting around were telling us stories about how everybody pukes in the T-34. Therefore, it was decided that anybody who yaks buys a round of shots. It seems like we sat around forever, but my first experience with the T-34 was well worth the wait. Prior to this my only flight hours were coach class in a 737. I thought we'd just go up, sight-see and come back down, but such was not the case.

We got to do as much as we wanted. We took off and did do some sight-seeing. All the landmarks were pointed out to me and then I was given the controls. We started with straight and level flight, precticed some turns, climbs and descents. Then the IP took the stick and gave me my first taste of PA. I can't describe what a thrill it was to feel the oncoming G's, look up (or I guess down) through the canopy and see the ground. As irrational as it sounds, all I could think was what a tragedy it is that 99% of the population lives their entire lives and dies having never felt this exhilaration, this incredible magic, this inexplicable feeling that is flying in a high performance aircraft (obviously high performance is relative here). What happened next blew my mind. After we had gone through the usual moves (loop over, split S, barrel roll, aileron roll etc.), the IP asked me if I wanted to try. So there he was, cool as a cucumber, talking someone who now has a half hour flight time through a loop over. Next we did a couple stall spins and flew out to another airfield (Sauffley -Sp?) and did some touch and goes. Time was up and we headed for home. It didn't occur to me to feel airsick until we were back on terra firma heading back to our spot on the tarmac. I felt less than fabulous, but didn't have to whip out the airsick bag. Some of my comrades were less fortunate. Two of nine bought drinks that might. We debriefed and went back to BEQ. That night we went to McGuire's (the place to go in Pcola apparently) and then Seville Quarter (good music and dancing, but the only place I've ever seen a girl slash another girl with a beer bottle - talk about a cat fight). Many hurricanes etc. later we crawled home at 0400.

Friday - We met with the people in charge of the ACEs program to wrap up paperwork, have questions answered etc. Went shopping at the Navy Exchange and then back to the airport and home.

There you have it folks, ACES in five hundred words or less. My impression is that your experience can vary tremendously depending on the people in the group, your LT, your stash Ensign and certainly on your instructor pilot. I was very nervous about it before I went down because I thought of it as some kind of a test you had to pass, but it actually was a great deal of fun. The only thing you have to "pass" is the flight physical, but there's nothing you can do to change that anyway. So my take on it is to go down, get the physical overwith, enjoy meeting people who love flying as much as you do, party your butt off, have the greatest thrill of your life flying the T-34 (unless you already have hours in a Hornet or something) and leave completely psyched up for OCS and proud and thrilled that you're being given the opportunity to serve as a Naval Officer, and better yet, the chance to earn your "Wings of Gold".

Hope this helps. Keep in touch. FLY NAVY!

Vicki

Ed Williams

Question, I went to ACES originally as an SNFO. Since my trip, I have redesignated and become a SNA. Do I need to return to ACES to retake my physical, or am I fine already?
ed

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ed, once you have been seen there and were PQed, then you are good to go, don't worry about it.

Ed Williams

I am almost a bit depressed that I can't return and hang out with the fun dental and Medical workers. They were such a treat.
ed

Musiqlover

Aww, poor baby... :-( At least you got to go, I am trying my ASS off just to try and go!!! :) So, how was it?

Sincerely,

Paul

PM

nickou23

So would it be advisable to get a teeth cleaning before I go to ACEs? Great time for my parents' insurance company to drop me.

Mahler

Ok, I'm supposed to go to ACES this summer as I gave my desired dates to my recruiter and everything. Well, that was about a month ago and I haven't heard anything about getting orders yet. If there are open slots at ACES I can sign up for, let me know. I'm learning you have to take the initiative yourself if you want anything done and not to wait around for recruiters to handle it. I have about a four week window in which I can go out to P-cola, so let me know what dates you need people to fill classes.

Mahler

Ed Williams

It proabably would be in your best interest to get the teeth all shiny and white. The dentist was not too happy with what he was seeing that particular day when i was there. If you don't have time, its not that big of a deal, you just want them done befroe OCS. ACES as a whole was awesome. I had a great time and meet some awesome people. If you guys can make it happen, definately go. It was worth it.
ed

Stephen

Hey John,
I'm glad you had a good time at ACES, I'm not crying or anything but my trip to ACES was disappointing. When I arrived in P-Cola I was informed that the my ACES class was cancelled, and no one let me or my recruiter know.

Stephen J. Hall

bpikula

Paul, or anybody else that knows, have you heard anything else about ACEs? I talked to my recruiter and he was pretty skeptical. I told him that someone had contacted the director of the program to set up a date and he kind of laughed it off. He did say that if we want to get it paid for that you have to go through your recruiting office. Apparently they pick up the tab. Anyway he did want more details and said if we could pull it off, go for it, but contact him first because he has got others that would want to go. Plus I guess he needs to sign whatever forms for the expenses. He did say, once again, that to the best of his knowledge ACEs is not scheduling anything right now. If you all know anything different please let me know. Paul, any updates, e mail me. Thanks, Brad.

Musiqlover

Dear Forum,

I am still in the process of looking into it. I am becoming EXTREMLY pissed off, though. I want to know why everyone is being so vague about ACES, and why they aren't having more clases. I have been in touch with a friend of mine who is a Captain over at Corpus Christi and he contacted the CO of NASC. Hopefully we will see some results soon!

Sincerely,
Musiqlover

PM

Musiqlover

Heck yeah! Who wouldn't want the opportunity to experience ACES? I mean, it is like an AWESOME chance to explore my future career, all at the Navy's expense! That is probably why it is so hard to go, because they foot the bill! :)

Sincerely,
Paul

PM

Status
Not open for further replies.