• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

looking for advice about becoming a naval officer

moyherman

I know how much people who post on forums don't like having to answer the same question over and over, so I will attempt to pose a query that will be (at least somewhat) different from the rest. The 'rest' being "I got such-and-such a score on the ASTB, what are my chances?"

Bacground Info:
I just took the ASTB and got an OAR score of 43 (3/3/3, although I'm focused on the OAR). I am dissapointed in myself because I always excel at standardized tests. Wierd thing is that I took the AFOQT before the ASTB and got pilot/navigator/acad aptitude/verbal/quantitative scores of 57/59/68/83/48. I feel like I did better on the AFOQT than the ASTB for some reason. And while we're on the subject of standardized test scores, I've scored a 1040 on the GRE (general test - verbal 510, quantitative 530).

I also know that an officer application is more than just test scores, so I will also list some other misc info about me: May 2009 bachelor's degree in international affairs from UGA, 3.3 GPA, basic-level competency of french/italian/spanish, no criminal record beyond traffic tickets, and recruiters have told me to mention the fact that I would be a 3rd generation sailor with the United States Navy. For the upcoming hiring board in January, I am interested in becoming a supply, transportation, and logistics officer as my 1st choice (intelligence and public affairs as 2nd and 3rd choices). So in an effort to comfort myself from doing poorly on the ASTB, I welcome input from all knowledgeable peoples, but seek it most from people who have travelled the supply, transportation, and logistics officer route.

The Questions:
1) Will the naval officer hiring board look at my AFOQT and/or GRE scores?

2) (if yes to #1) Will my ASTB OAR score of 43 be 'improved' aside my above mentioned AFOQT and GRE scores?

3) What is a competitive ASTB score for a supply, transportation, and logistics officer?

4) How difficult is it to be accepted into the supply, transportation, and logistics officer program? (compared to other naval officer positions)

5) Have a created a thread that is at least somewhat engaging and/or enjoyable to read?

(Thanks for any help)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Retake the ASTB. Study your ass off. That score is easily improved by someone with your other credentials.

If I were on an admissions board (I'm not, nor have I been, FYI), a high GPA paired with a low ASTB score would raise questions in my mind -- either your grades in college were a fluke, or you didn't put forth the proper effort for the ASTB.

5) have a created a thread that is at least somewhat engaging and/or enjoyable to read?
No. Aside from your punctuation and capitalization errors, this thread is another "what are my chances" in disguise.

It's this simple: you know your ASTB score is poor. You know that you need to improve them. However, in a last ditch effort to be lazy and to avoid studying, you posted this thread for people to tell you that it'll be okay and you can submit your application as-is with a good chance of being accepted.

EDIT: If you did your HW and read the stickies on this site, you'd know that the ASTB is graded on a Bell Curve, and you'd know where you stand on it. No one can tell you what your chances are, but that will tell you where you stand next to the average test-taker.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about the low scores. It'll be OK. Submit it as-is and you'll probably be accepted.:icon_tong

Bevo16

pilot
I only got about halfway through the original post until I could not take it anymore and stopped reading.

If you are going to come to a bunch of professionals and ask for their assistance, you should think about writing your introduction like you have at least a 2nd grade education.

Did the public schools in Georgia fail to teach you that the first letter in a sentence is supposed to upper case?

Maybe the reason that you normally do well on standardized tests in that they don't do a good job of exposing your lack of basic writing and communication skill. Is it possible that you had to get to the ASTB to uncover the fact that you can't even write?

This is a really helpful group, but you can't show up for your job interview looking like a slob. You you look like a slob.

moyherman

Retake the ASTB. Study your ass off. That score is easily improved by someone with your other credentials.

If I were on an admissions board (I'm not, nor have I been, FYI), a high GPA paired with a low ASTB score would raise questions in my mind -- either your grades in college were a fluke, or you didn't put forth the proper effort for the ASTB.

No. Aside from your punctuation and capitalization errors, this thread is another "what are my chances" in disguise.

It's this simple: you know your ASTB score is poor. You know that you need to improve them. However, in a last ditch effort to be lazy and to avoid studying, you posted this thread for people to tell you that it'll be okay and you can submit your application as-is with a good chance of being accepted.

EDIT: If you did your HW and read the stickies on this site, you'd know that the ASTB is graded on a Bell Curve, and you'd know where you stand on it. No one can tell you what your chances are, but that will tell you where you stand next to the average test-taker.

Understood. I am confident that this is a situation of just not doing good on one specific test rather than 5 years of cumulative luck related to getting my degree. Also, my apologies for not making my post interesting. I did try.

Don't worry about the low scores. It'll be OK. Submit it as-is and you'll probably be accepted.:icon_tong

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but thanks for the input.

I only got about halfway through the original post until I could not take it anymore and stopped reading.

If you are going to come to a bunch of professionals and ask for their assistance, you should think about writing your introduction like you have at least a 2nd grade education.

Did the public schools in Georgia fail to teach you that the first letter in a sentence is supposed to upper case?

Maybe the reason that you normally do well on standardized tests in that they don't do a good job of exposing your lack of basic writing and communication skill. Is it possible that you had to get to the ASTB to uncover the fact that you can't even write?

This is a really helpful group, but you can't show up for your job interview looking like a slob. You you look like a slob.

My lack of official APA (American Psychological Association) or MLA (Modern Language Association) seems to have offended you. I apologize. I was under the impression that this was an internet forum (and informal) and not a job interview. If you had finished reading what I wrote, there were not any spelling, syntax, typographical, or other grammatical errors.

Having said that, if you have anything to add regarding the questions I asked, I would be open to read it.

Bevo16

pilot
my lack of official APA (american psychological association) or MLA (modern language association) seems to have offended you.

Offended? No. The fact that you represent yourself as someone who can't put a sentence together is your own problem.

my apologies, but i was under the impression that this was an internet forum and not a job interview. if u had finished reading what i wrote, i believe you would notice that there were no spelling, syntax, typographical, or other grammatical errors.

I didn't need to read it.

having said that, if you have anything to add regarding the questions i asked, i would be open to read it.

Sure. None of the communities that you express interest in will take you if you can't communicate in an effective and professional manner. Also, your attitude sucks. What would I know about it what it takes to be an officer, other than going through that process myself. Not to mention that I work in Millington and eat lunch twice a week with the two of the Officer Community Managers for the jobs you want to go into. They just happen to be Texas grads too.

Tell me your name, I'll put in a good word for you.

VulcanRider

pilot
Would you go into a recruiting office and ask your recruiter the same thing you just asked here in the same format? Whether you meant to or not, it did come off as being lazy and looking for a reason to not study and take the test again. If you are serious about becoming an officer, there is NO reason you should not study and take the test again.

On another note, would you go into the recruiting office dressed like a worthless asshole, or someone who has something to offer the Navy? The same thing applies here, only we don't know what you look like, only how you write. No one is perfect and people don't expect you to write perfectly, but they do expect you to put forth an effort to look professional. If you are going to ask people for serious feedback you need to do two things

1. Put a SERIOUS effort into your question(s) ie. SEARCH first then ask

2. Be willing to accept the feedback you receive.

My .02 cents

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The Navy has a unique culture, and especially at the beginning you are always going to be evaluated. If you want respect you have to be at the top of your game all the time...

Try using capitalization, basic punctuation, and don't replace words with letters ("u" for "you", etc.).

That said try these technique for your Officer Interview, you'll go far.

You have to be assertive...

moyherman

Offended? No. The fact that you represent yourself as someone who can't put a sentence together is your own problem.

I didn't need to read it.

Sure. None of the communities that you express interest in will take you if you can't communicate in an effective and professional manner. Also, your attitude sucks. What would I know about it what it takes to be an officer, other than going through that process myself. Not to mention that I work in Millington and eat lunch twice a week with the two of the Officer Community Managers for the jobs you want to go into. They just happen to be Texas grads too.

Tell me your name, I'll put in a good word for you.

If you are sure that I have not offended you, I will take your word for it. But seeing as how I first apologized for any offense I accidentally may have caused and merely try to explain where I was coming from so as not to seemingly have offended you on purpose and you continue to attack me, I do not know what else I could/should do. To prevent further offense, I have correctly punctuated this response. My sentiment in the previous sentence also applies to my attitude, which I am also not sure how it 'sucks' in regards to my replies in this thread.

But to get back to the questions I posed at the beginning of this thread, if you have any input, it would be appreciated.

moyherman

Would you go into a recruiting office and ask your recruiter the same thing you just asked here in the same format? Whether you meant to or not, it did come off as being lazy and looking for a reason to not study and take the test again. If you are serious about becoming an officer, there is NO reason you should not study and take the test again.

On another note, would you go into the recruiting office dressed like a worthless asshole, or someone who has something to offer the Navy? The same thing applies here, only we don't know what you look like, only how you write. No one is perfect and people don't expect you to write perfectly, but they do expect you to put forth an effort to look professional. If you are going to ask people for serious feedback you need to do two things

1. Put a SERIOUS effort into your question(s) ie. SEARCH first then ask

2. Be willing to accept the feedback you receive.

My .02 cents

Understood. As I mentioned before, I was under the impression that an internet forum was more informal than it seemingly is. I will put forth the proper effort in asking questions and corresponding throughout this thread.

moyherman

The Navy has a unique culture, and especially at the beginning you are always going to be evaluated. If you want respect you have to be at the top of your game all the time...

Try using capitalization, basic punctuation, and don't replace words with letters ("u" for "you", etc.).

That said try these technique for your Officer Interview, you'll go far.

You have to be assertive...

I appreciate the input. I will strive to be assertive in my interview(s), though maybe not in the exact manner portrayed in the video. The video was rather comical though. Thanks.

VulcanRider

pilot
Edit: Statesman is saying this better than I am.

Understood. As I mentioned before, I was under the impression that an internet forum was more informal than it seemingly is. I will put forth the proper effort in asking questions and corresponding throughout this thread.

Glad to hear it. Usually, I would agree with you but the difference here is that you asking professionals in the Navy for a professional opinion this isn't your world of warcraft forum. You are asking a serious question about how to be hired into a very competitive job. Being able to admit to ones own mistakes and make corrections accordingly is a trait of a good leader. Apologizing for them and then not correcting them is the sign of a poor one.
If someone has taken the time to help you even if it seems harsh, they are still helping you. Try to sack up and see it for what it is.