• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for advice.

Alaska

Hello,
I first would like to say that I am very happy that I found this forum. I am wanting to become a Navy pilot. I understand that it is very competitive to get in so I am going to spend the next three years of my life building an application. I am currently attending the University of Anchorage Alaska for an associate’s degree in ATC and have two semesters left before I graduate. I pushed my graduation back to join the Navy reserve and will be leaving for basic after this semester. The job that I choose in the Navy will be aviation related. When I get back I will finish my ATC degree and start on some type of engineering degree. At the same time I will use my sighing bonus to get my private pilots license for both fixed wing and rotorcraft. I think that a associate degree in ATC, a bachelor’s degree in engineering (of some sort), prior military service with a job related to aviation and a private pilot license in both fixed wing and rotorcraft will make me very competitive assuming I graduate with a 3.5 GPA or higher and do VERY well in the Navy reserve. This is my plan but I am open to criticism and suggestions. I am beyond determined and will do anything to make this happen.

P.S. I am also married, have a 18 month old girl, work full time and am considering being a big brother for the big brother big sister program. Will these be a factor?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I think that a associate degree in ATC, a bachelor’s degree in engineering (of some sort), prior military service with a job related to aviation and a private pilot license in both fixed wing and rotorcraft will make me very competitive assuming I graduate with a 3.5 GPA or higher and do VERY well in the Navy reserve. This is my plan but I am open to criticism and suggestions. I am beyond determined and will do anything to make this happen.

It sounds like you've thought this out, and that's not a bad plan. If you follow through, I don't think you need to do anymore than the basics of an application, because OCS accepts guys off the street with no reserve exp, non-engineering degrees, and sub 3.5 GPAs. When you finish what you've outlined, all you can do is apply (make sure age isn't a factor, though).

chrispaul

NFO
None
If you enlisted in the Reserves, then you've already put yourself in a different category (in the Navy's eyes) than a Joe Blow off the street applying to OCS.

After you finish basic, bone up on the application process for becoming an officer. Research the Seaman-to-Admiral Program (https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/index.html) and check out threads on this forum related to Enlisted Commissioning Programs (http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46).

Now that you're in the Navy, put equal emphasis on kicking butt in the Reserves and making a good name for yourself. You're not competing with Joe Blow's for a commission now, you're competing against other sh*t-hot sailors.

Alaska

Now that you're in the Navy, put equal emphasis on kicking butt in the Reserves and making a good name for yourself. You're not competing with Joe Blow's for a commission now, you're competing against other sh*t-hot sailors.

Thanks for the links. Other then memorizing Navy ranks and being in great physical shape is their anything else that I can do or study before basic to help me rise above the rest? Do you have any advise for basic?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Bad news about STA-21...as per instruction.

Be serving on active duty in the U.S. Navy or Full Time Support (FTS), or Selected Reserve (SELRES), and Navy Reservists on active duty except for those on Active Duty for Training (ACDUTRA) to include Annual Training (AT) and initial Active Duty for Training (I-ACDUTRA).

Good luck Alaska...GO Seawolves!

FMRAM

Because he talked about going back to school...I am assuming after his initial training was completed.

Alaska, what part of the reserve?

FMRAM

Why can't he be SELRES and go to school?

There is no reason why he couldn't go to school and do SELRES...he could go active duty and still go to school. So far I don't know what reserve program he signed up for and I am trying to extrapolate based on his intentions of going back to school for his B.S. I am also trying to determine his eligibility for STA-21.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There is no reason why he couldn't go to school and do SELRES...he could go active duty and still go to school. So far I don't know what reserve program he signed up for and I am trying to extrapolate based on his intentions of going back to school for his B.S. I am also trying to determine his eligibility for STA-21.

I would guess that for his initial enlistment he would be required to go SELRES. I don't know the Reserve programs, but I would guess if the Navy sent him to boot camp and some other training they would demand some SELRES time out of him, before allowing him to go IRR.

FMRAM

I am sure Alaska will chime in here sometime to set school us on reserve programs, because I have only a basic knowledge(s) myself.

Alaska

Sorry it took so long. I was at work.
As far as I was told I will go to boot camp for about five months(Depending on the job I end up training for) and have to drill one weekend a month and two weeks a year with a possibility of deployment which could last up to a year. This should be true for both the SELRES and the IRR. Even if I get deployed I will have time to meet the goals I have outlined above and still meet the age requirement. I don't understand why the STA-21 is bad news though.
The reason I chose reserve is because I am pushing an age limit for both the Navy STA and the FAA. IF the Navy rejects my application for STA (God forbid) then I will still have a year to get hired by the FAA for ATC. As much as I want to go full time active I must think of my family's financial future and ATC for the FAA pays much better then ATC for the Navy. I hope the Navy will not turn down my request for STA with the application that I am going to build over the next three years though.

FMRAM

Be serving on active duty in the U.S. Navy or Full Time Support (FTS), or Selected Reserve (SELRES), and Navy Reservists on active duty except for those on Active Duty for Training (ACDUTRA) to include Annual Training (AT) and initial Active Duty for Training (I-ACDUTRA).

Alaska,
Do you meet this criteria? If the answer is no, then STA-21 is not an option.
You keep putting "STA" in your last post...are you refering Seaman to Admiral-21 program or rather to SNA or Student Naval Aviator?