• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Advice

Yoop

Let me start with a few basics:

- 25, going on 26, years old
- Had PRK in May, just became medically eligible
- Bachelors Degree
- Been working in Sales for over 2 years
- College GPA - 2.5
- Above average ASTB scores

Last spring I decided I wanted to join the Military and preferably as an aviator. I narrowed my options down to the Navy and Marine Corps, with the Marine Corps seeming to be the best choice for me. Recently they put a hold on Air Contracts because of the number of people waiting for flight training, so I started talking to the Navy again. My local OSO has some new personnel and the information I am getting from them is a little different than what I was told earlier. I expect to not be selected at my first board (hopefully January 2010), but it sounds like selection rates for those that re-apply are higher.

I just want to know what anyone out there knows about the status of both the Marine Corp and Navy in regards to air contracts right now. With my age starting to become a factor I need to have a plan in place soon. The Marines are telling me I can't even apply until next summer. Even though my GPA is a little low, my ASTB scores were good, how closely does the Navy look at each?

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this is a little vague, but I don't even know what specifics to ask because I'm still trying to sort through all the different information I've been given over the last six months.

Thanks.

Yoop

Thanks, new to the forum and still trying to find my way around. All those links were very helpful, spent a while reading through everything.

From what I can see everyone is seeing the same scenario with the Marine air contracts. I already have a degree so PLC is not an option. I am also starting to worry about my age, so it looks to me like applying to the Navy boards is my best option. As someone mentioned, things always work out for a reason.

Anyone know what the status is with Navy air contracts? Are they available and how tight is the competition for them?

m26

Contributor
...Spent a while reading through everything.

Anyone know what the status is with Navy air contracts? Are they available and how tight is the competition for them?

This is the key... read up, then ask follow-up questions. :thumbup_1

The link above ("No SNA til March") has the best information that I recall seeing on here recently. They should be available.

I believe these are the stats from August:

Pilot BDCP: 5 out of 9 accepted = 55%

Pilot DA: 30 out of 46 = 65%

NFO BDCP: 8 out of 14 = 57%

NFO DA: 29 out of 56 = 52%

Check out the threads from various recent boards to see the stats of pro-rec'd users.

Yoop

Hey guys, thanks for the links on here. I spent a lot of time going through everything and it gave me a lot of great insight. This has been a 6+ month process for me, and I knew what I had to do, but gathering the info gave me a good look at the process from others going through the same. Left my OSO today and will be applying to the January boards.

Thanks again.