• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for advice

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Hey, everyone. I've been reading these boards for several months now and posted a bit over in the Reserves subforum, but this is my first time posting in this subforum. I found out about a month ago that I was a non-select for the most recent IDC board, and I've been doing a lot of soul-searching and thinking about what I want for my future. I've decided that I want to pursue an active duty commission, and now I need some advice.

I've spoken with an active-duty recruiter, and he answered several of my questions, but I get the sense that the ball isn't really going to get rolling until I take the ASTB in a couple of weeks. I have a Ph.D. in Math and I've been studying the mechanics and aviation/nautical info, so I expect that I will do well.

My first question has to do with my chances of being selected for active duty. From what my reserve recruiter told me, the main concerns the IDC board probably had were my lack of prior military service and my lack of "industry" experience. As an active-duty applicant, I believe these concerns will be negated (or at least mitigated). I have worked for over 10 years as a university mathematics professor and taken on many leadership roles in that capacity, so I feel that I will have a strong application package.

The next question is what specialty to pursue. In addition to my Ph.D., I have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, and I have some experience with programming. I had been pursuing Intel as a Reserve candidate, but as an active-duty candidate, what other options would be available and/or interesting? Keep in mind that I am 38 years old, though I am in good shape and should have no trouble passing a physical exam.

Another question: Will it be possible to leverage my advanced degree to start at a higher rank, or to advance through the lower ranks more quickly? I have been told that this is a possibility, but I would like some more details.

The last question may be difficult to answer, but is there any sense of what the timeline would be? My recruiter mentioned that the next selection board is in February, though I don't know if that is a board for IDC candidates specifically, or for all officer candidates. I feel strongly that I want to finish my commitment to my university and finish teaching the Spring semester that ends in May. Even if the board is in February, would I be able to do that, and then begin OCS perhaps in June?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.