• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for answers!

jmoore

Ok, I posted this in another section of this forum but it wasn't taken too serious, I did some research on this site (as suggested) and didn't quite find what I was looking for. I am a sophomore in college and I am trying to decide on a major that will benefit me in my path to a commission. I am very interested in Aviation and Inteligence for the Navy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JM

tiger84

LT
pilot
I think you'll find that the guys on this site come from a wide variety of majors and backgrounds and they've all made it where they want to be. Just do what you find interesting or exciting and bust your ass at it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you'll find that the guys on this site come from a wide variety of majors and backgrounds and they've all made it where they want to be. Just do what you find interesting or exciting and bust your ass at it.

Concur. In the grand scheme, your major is completely irrelevant. What other kind of info/advice are you looking for?

Brett

jmoore

So if I wanted to be a Navy pilot I would not have to major in Aviation? What do I need to do in order to obtain a commission? Like I said in my earlier post I am only a sophomore and I know this is the route that I want to go!

Rasczak

Marine
So if I wanted to be a Navy pilot I would not have to major in Aviation? What do I need to do in order to obtain a commission? Like I said in my earlier post I am only a sophomore and I know this is the route that I want to go!
get your degree, apply for OCS, BDCP or NROTC and go from there.

ZEM

The harder you try the faster you will die.
All you need to become a Naval Aviator is a degree. It can even be in underwater basket weaving. As long as you get a degree. Some of my pilots I fly with have degrees in Law, Phys ED, Social Studies, and even in Business Management. So it really doesn't matter what you get your degree in.

Desi

As the other guys said, don't worry about your major too much. Choose something that you enjoy and that you want to learn and then do well in it. If you want to be a pilot or nfo and get that designator, they'll teach you what you need to know after you have a degree. They send English majors to be pilots out of the Naval Academy, so they're not really looking at your major whether you go there or any other school :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As the other guys said, don't worry about your major too much. Choose something that you enjoy and that you want to learn and then do well in it. If you want to be a pilot or nfo and get that designator, they'll teach you what you need to know after you have a degree. They send English majors to be pilots out of the Naval Academy, so they're not really looking at your major whether you go there or any other school :)

Yes they do. But English majors from the USNA have a B.S. degree, not B.A. They are required to take calc based physics and the math that goes with it. The only caveat I would offer to the excellent responses above is to remember you will have to take an entrance exam for OCS that has math and physics/mechanics subject matter questions. You can major in anything you want, but make sure you have a solid math background (calculas not required) with an understanding of basic physics. Otherwise, do something that interests you and get good grades.