• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for "How To" Advice

ldstager

I have always dreamed of being a Navy pilot. I am a 19 year old Freshman at the University of San Diego. I am in the Honors Program here, and carrying a 3.4 GPA as an Economics major. I graduated from High School with a 4.0 and was the captain of the wrestling team 2 years. I hope that with this would indicate that I would be successful in both the classroom portion and physical portion of whatever training pipeline I choose.

I have a few problems, and from what I've read I am VERY confident one of you fine gentlemen will have a clear response. My first problem is that I have a color vision deficiency. I cannot pass PiPs. I had heard that the Navy allows FALANT testing and would love to pursue that (Please tell me if they dont). I have been having conversations with the Recruiter for USD's NROTC unit, but from what he is telling me, I would have to join the Battalion first but would not be able to see a flight surgeon untill my junior year, when I would have an obligation to the service. Yes, I understand I need to be a Naval Officer 1st and a pilot 2nd, I just want to know that I can compete for a flight school spot.

Secondly, I was wondering if the Navy offered Guaranteed flight slots for OCS or another route.

It is my goal in life to become a Navy Pilot. On the wrestling mat, we always said that hard work solves all problems. I believe that philosophy would see me through flight school and whatever else is required of me to become a Naval Aviator. I just need to get by the color vision block.

magnetfreezer

Search the forums for FALANT and color vision - many other applicants have contributed on this. Same for the 'guaranteed' slots. The AW extension of the wrestling mat is that the search function solves all problems. Good luck.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
The BDCP/OCS route is probably the best option for someone with medical concerns. You will have a guaranteed pilot slot upon selection and after medical approval.