• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Information

mike172

GO NAVY
So last night my neighbor comes over, Turns out he is Navy Reserve, just got called up to fill a logistics roll in Kuwait. So we are talking, I tell him I am applying for NROTC he gives me some pointers/advice offers to write me a LOR, good stuff. I ask him what his MOS is (cause I could not remember what the Navy uses, is it designator or rate?) He said he was surface warfare when he was active duty. He told me that Aviation is not going to be the way to go when I get to designator choosing time. I'm going to be a Senior in high school this coming fall. He says that SWO is the way to go because the smaller ships IE. Cruisers, Destroyers, Frigates are going to be delivering most of the ordinance in the future with unmanned aerial vehicles and what not because they can work more independently and blow stuff up cheaper that a jet. He had more to say but that was the general gist. Any thoughts on that?
OK so now that I have bored you with my monologue I was wondering what website is like Air Warriors for SWOs because I really don't know anything about the SWO community other than that they drive ships. So if someone could tell me a good website for SWOs that be cool.
Thanks a lot and sorry for the long read
-Mike

RiceOwl06

The website you are looking for would be sailorbob.com. You may have trouble getting on there and asking questions though, since they are pretty picky as to who can actually be members (according to fellow Airwarriors members). As to his statement about aviation not being the way to go, thats likely total bs, and I'm sure others will make a stronger statement. Pilots/NFOs are going to be around for awhile, so if that's what you want to do, do not listen to him. He is probably bitter over his life as a SWO.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
He said he was surface warfare when he was active duty. He told me that Aviation is not going to be the way to go when I get to designator choosing time. I'm going to be a Senior in high school this coming fall. He says that SWO is the way to go because the smaller ships IE. Cruisers, Destroyers, Frigates are going to be delivering most of the ordinance in the future with unmanned aerial vehicles and what not because they can work more independently and blow stuff up cheaper that a jet. He had more to say but that was the general gist. Any thoughts on that?
Your neighbor is full of crap. Just the amount of aircraft the Navy is purchasing and modernization going on tells you manned aircraft are here to stay for a very long time.

How many 5 inch shells from Navy ships do you see crashing down on the terrorists or bad guy Iraqis / Afghanis? (none) How many bombs from aircraft? (many)

Things like helos and transports will never be replaced by UAVs. No one is going to put passengers on an aircraft flown by remote control.

Do a search on UAVs on this site. Plenty of discuss on this.

Now, about SWOs...they are a bitter, fun-hating breed that want everyone else to be as miserable as they are. They think pain is good and self-abuse is better. According to SWOs, life is all work, no play and meant to hurt.

There are many SWOs who try to switch to aviation but I've never heard of a winged aviator switching to SWO. SWOs will always knock aviators saying we have it too easy....I think they are secretly jealous but if they admit it, the senior SWOs will fillet and eat them.

Aviators work hard, play hard and have fun in the process. Their quality of life both on the ship and on shore is a lot better. Flying is a blast.

Good luck with NROTC. You have at least the first 3 years of NROTC to figure out which to go for before you select a path your senior year. They will teach you plenty about both SWO and aviation. There will also be at least one of each flavor on the staff to question. Be sure to ask about life style / quality of life in addition to mission. As I said in another thread similar to this - you can have your dream job but if your quality of life sucks, you will hate your job.

HUDcripple

pilot
Rather than discussing the merits of your neighbor's advice...

Don't sweat community selection yet. You have five years until you have to decide.
The first year of NROTC just decide if the Navy is what you want to do. The summer cruise between Freshman and Sophmore year should help. First day of sophmore year you sign the contract, so by then you need to decide stay or go. Even if your first word as a baby was "Navy" you need to think about this, otherwise you'll be bitter from day 1.
That gives you 2.5 years to come to the obvious conclusion that aviation is the way to go.

mike172

GO NAVY
Thanks for info. I tried getting on sailor bob, however they want you to enter your rank, I did not want to do this as i have no rank... I can't submit my username and whatnot without filling this field in. So how do non SWOs get on this website?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for info. I tried getting on sailor bob, however they want you to enter your rank, I did not want to do this as i have no rank... I can't submit my username and whatnot without filling this field in. So how do non SWOs get on this website?

This is job for....SteveW!

He is the AW SWO LNO and a card-carrying member of SailorBob...and a SWO

I'm sure even he will tell you that your neighbor is obviously from the dark side

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
You may have trouble getting on there and asking questions though, since they are pretty picky as to who can actually be members.

Kinda like the "I love being a SWO and can't wait to continue past my 4-year commitment" club...

There are many valid points here...and a lot are by accomplished aviators...not too many accomplished SWOs anymore. ;) "Good job...you didn't run aground." SteveW is the exception.

Good luck. Don't worry about selection right now...you should be having fun, pleasing your girlfriend until she gets all flaky and realizes she has to "experience" life before settling into a serious relationship, and other things I enjoyed about being 17/18. Jeez...kids grow up so fast now-a-days.

~D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good luck. Don't worry about selection right now...you should be having fun, pleasing your girlfriend until she gets all flaky and realizes she has to "experience" life before settling into a serious relationship, and other things I enjoyed about being 17/18. Jeez...kids grow up so fast now-a-days.

~D

Is that a lead in for me? Stand by, let me gather my notes. :D

Brett