• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for some Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Burke

My recruiter told me the other day that in OCS one of the books is called the OCR (Officer Candidate Requirements). From what I understand it is similar to the BMR (Basic Military Requirements) but gets a bit more involved. Can someone tell me about the class work done in OCS and which OPNAV instructions or directives I can look at.

Also, I think I read somewhere that we have to have a red lens for the small flashlight. Is that accurate?

Dave Shutter

OCR is your OCs Bible, covering all requirements and reg's while there. BMR is a huge paperback that is a general overview of the military, organization and policies. I looked at mine but we were never required to do anything with it, it's actaully contraband during your room inspections. go figure. I barely studied and got 90's on most of my tests, then again I paid attention in class which varies for student to student. Be advised, they just re-did a lot of the subjects at OCS and from what I'm hearing from my old instructors I bump into here and there they are a lot tougher and a lot more poeple are failing with the new tests. The last time I talked with a DI as a Candi-O about week 9 RLP he said they were working on making the min' score to pass a 95. 95's happen though, but to about 1% of the people.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/01/2002 13:45:54

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
That sounds like your "candidate knowledge". It was an invaluable book piece at Marine OCS. And I don't know how Navy OCS classes run, but I would stay awake for all of them and learn as much as you can. It won't be easy with the sleep deprivation, but if you have some self-discipline and stand up if you start nodding, you should be all right. Those classes should be the foundation of your career as an officer. As far as the red lens, any time in the field there should be light discipline. Red lenses are the only allowed tactical light. If you decide to write letters in your rack at night a red lens is also more conducive for your fellow candidates sleep.

Semper Fidelis

Paul Burke

Thanks yall. What I am looking for specifically is the information that they cover in the classes. For example, I have already printed out the NATOPS, UCMJ, Naval Aviation Saftey Program, OPSEC, Aircraft Material Conditions Definitions, Naval Aviation Maintenance Program, Navy Regs, and Volumes 1-3 of the NAVOSH manual. I have a few others like 3M that I have yet to print out. (Thank God for bulk ink and refillable cartridges). As I have been reading this stuff (particularly NATOPS) I thought maybe I was putting the cart before the horse, I have to get through OCS first. I already have the Big 3 and then some memorized. What I want to go ahead on is the classroom stuff specifically. For example, I can't quite tell you which article an infraction falls under in the UCMJ but I know most all the other details such as the max penalities. It's a 446 page book and I know it has a condensed course for OCS associated with it. That's the stuff I'm looking for.

Or if someone wants to get rid of all their OCS notes and hook a brother up then let me know. :)

Thanks for the insight aviatorshade. I went ahead last night and made a red lens for my maglight just in case.

Edited by - Paul Burke on 04/01/2002 15:35:46

Paul Burke

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the open honesty. I know I am going insanely out there with it all. The NATOPS I have is 3710.7S. It's really more about the organizational side of it all. I remember in boot camp we had some classes on things like UCMJ and tested over it. It is only my assumption that officers would have to know a bit more about things like that than anyone enlisted which is why I have been looking at it. As far as being worried goes, I'm not really that worried about it. I know that I will make it through everything just fine. I live by the 7P's and so far it seems to work.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Paul,

I agree with Matt. Chill out brother before you lose it. Go drink some beer and chase some women.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.