• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LORs

Chill314

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice regarding LORs. I have been reading on this forum that many applicants for OCS have letters from active officers. My background is academic and as such, most of my letter writers will be professors. Do letters from active officers add much to an application if they will only have the opportunity to "interview" me once before writing? Should I just stick to those who know me well and can speak knowledgeably about my achievements and character? I may have the opportunity to arrange and interview with a retired officer if that would carry any weight.

Any advice is appreciated!

exNavyOffRec

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice regarding LORs. I have been reading on this forum that many applicants for OCS have letters from active officers. My background is academic and as such, most of my letter writers will be professors. Do letters from active officers add much to an application if they will only have the opportunity to "interview" me once before writing? Should I just stick to those who know me well and can speak knowledgeably about my achievements and character? I may have the opportunity to arrange and interview with a retired officer if that would carry any weight.

Any advice is appreciated!

most getting officer interviews are active duty, it is required for them, as a civilian you want LOR's from people that have seen you in action and can write about what type of long term performance you have had, either academic or employment.

dmamula

In regards to LOR's, I am Active duty; I am getting LOR's from my previous command (CO, CMC, NAV. Is it ok or will it look bad to get LOR's from people that are at my command now. Also in regards to Officers, are enlisted ok for active duty guys or should it come from a higher up officer. I do understand that the person just has to know how I work but coming from the active world I was wondering if rank and current command really matters regarding to LOR's

Thanks in advance

(not trying to jack your thread by any means just didn't want to post another question on the same subject)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In regards to LOR's, I am Active duty; I am getting LOR's from my previous command (CO, CMC, NAV. Is it ok or will it look bad to get LOR's from people that are at my command now. Also in regards to Officers, are enlisted ok for active duty guys or should it come from a higher up officer. I do understand that the person just has to know how I work but coming from the active world I was wondering if rank and current command really matters regarding to LOR's
Yes, LORs from Officers of your present & previous commands, are fine. These are/have been your 'leaders', and knowing of your performance, work ethic, character, and leadership potential; will be highly regarded by the board. In addition, even a LOR from an E-6 thru E-9 (your COB?), who has been a Supervisor in your COC, is of value.:)

Also, highly regarded LORs can be from your past/present Teachers, Professors, Coaches, Scout Leaders, and former civilian Supervisors, Managers, or "Bosses" are worthwhile. 4-5 good LORs are sufficient, you don't want to snow them under. Remember they're screening often up to 30-50+ applicants on a given board, and with time constraints... would probably not get to actually absorb more than 3-5 LORs per applicant (and you want them to be your best 3-5)! Good luck from a fellow ET 'Bubblehead'!;)
Patch Dolphins.gif
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For the civilian applicants with no prior experience, if you happen to know professors or anyone professionally who are active/reserve/retired have them write you a LOR. Those 370s will go further than folks without a military background.

IRfly

None
Strange, you recruiters make it sound like selection boards want letters from people who actually know a person and his/her abilities and work.

Don't worry, once you're IN the Navy, all that matters on an LOR is a high rank under the signature. :)