• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lvov airshow crash/Best you can do is tie the record...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As the saying goes, in trying to make an ultra low pass, the best you can do is tie the record...of course, you can also end up buying the farm or in this case killing a lot of people. Of course, this was an airshow maneuver gone awry. A video of the 2002 Su-27 crash at the Lvov airshow can be found at: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-3-26_Su_27UBCrashinLviv.wmv

Below is photo at moment of impact with successful ejection of aircrew who were later imprisoned for loss of life (83 spectators were killed).

Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma vowed to punish those responsible for Saturday's crash. He immediately sacked Ukraine's air force chief and launched an investigation to be led by top officials.

"This is a terrible tragedy. No words can describe it. It's like a bad dream," he said, speaking at the scene.

"The guilty must be brought to justice, on this point there is no doubt," he told local television, adding he wanted a ban on future military airshows.

The military prosecutor's office for western Ukraine opened a criminal investigation into the crash and the government earmarked 10 million hryvnias ($1.8 million) to help victims' families.

Local media blamed the tragedy on engine failure and eyewitnesses said the engine went quiet before plunging to the ground.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw a clip on the alexparksinn web site about an F-14 mishap..completely wrong description from an "expert air traffic control petty officer"...mixed up aircrews and mishaps. Total BS description.

I e-mailed the site to correct it and never heard back or saw a change.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I remember posting that video a while back. If you look closely in the beginning, you can see a guy crap his pants.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another Su-27 "buys the farm" at airshow

Chubby said:
That's a bad day at the office. Seen it before though ...
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15953&highlight=Su-27

So had I, but the still image wasn't posted so didn't want to post it without the video to go with it. Here's another Su-27 that failed to beat the record; this time at paris Airshow):
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/SukhoisParisCrash.mpeg

Of course, they have had a lot of interest in their K-36 ejection seats after such dramatic public demonstrations of its performance...no kidding! US actually looked at them. Here a MiG-29 shows capability of K-36 to save pilot even in high sink rate situation at yet another airshow (Farnborough).

T

TXHusker05

heyjoe said:
So had I, but the still image wasn't posted so didn't want to post it without the video to go with it. Here's another Su-27 that failed to beat the record; this time at paris Airshow):
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/SukhoisParisCrash.mpeg

Of course, they have had a lot of interest in their K-36 ejection seats after such dramatic public demonstrations of its performance...no kidding! US actually looked at them. Here a MiG-29 shows capability of K-36 to save pilot even in high sink rate situation at yet another airshow (Farnborough).

Ha, bullseye. At least he got out of it ok, I don't suppose they sent him to jail too.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
Ha, bullseye. At least he got out of it ok, I don't suppose they sent him to jail too.

Just this one because of the deaths...

A military court in the Ukraine sentenced the pilot whose plane smashed into a crowd at a 2002 air show to up to 14 years in prison. Seventy-seven people were killed when the Su-27 fighter jet hit the ground and exploded went the aircraft failed to complete a maneuver safely.

The two pilots whose plane caused the world's worst air show disaster ejected and survived. More than two dozen children were among the victims.

The court in the town found the two pilots as well as three military officials guilty of failing to fulfil orders, negligence and violating flight rules. The investigating commission ruled the pilots had tried to pull off a risky maneuver at too low an altitude. The report also singled out commanders and show organizers for poor preparations and failing to ensure safety during the show on July 27, 2002. The investigators supposed the following causes of the accident, in the order of importance:

- violation of the flight plan by crew or ground co-ordinator
- improper flight plan: particularly, mistaken correlation between the flight and spectators' zones
- piloting error
- technical failure
- fueling the plane with an excess amount of kerosene, causing the Su-27 to become too heavy and not agile enough to complete the maneuver

The pilot, Volodymyr Toponar, was sentenced to 14 years in prison and ordered to pay 7.2 million hryvna ($1.42 million), and his co-pilot, Yuriy Yegorov, was sentenced to eight years and fined 2.5 million hryvna. The court also sentenced two commanders of the 14th Aviation Corps from which the Su-27 was assigned to six years in prison, and the unit's head of flight security to four years. They were also ordered to pay compensation.Toponar had earlier denied responsibility for the deaths, according to Interfax. He claimed technical problems and a faulty flight plan were to blame and that he would appeal his sentence to Ukraine's supreme court.

The disaster prompted a major shakeup in the ranks of the ex-Soviet state's military and all fighter jet flights were suspended for nearly two weeks. Ukrainian president Leonid Kuchma publicly blamed the military for the disaster and dismissed the head of the air force, Volodymyr Strel'nykov. The defense minister Volodymyr Shkidchenko sent in his resignation, but it was rejected by Kuchma.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What depresses me is how the Ramstein disaster did and the Lvov disaster came close to (or did, dunno) lead to a ban on military airshows in their respective countries. Such a knee-jerk political reaction. How many of us now flying got our careers started being "that kid" at an airshow? :(

I can't believe the pilot actually tried to dodge responsibility, though. THAT is absolutely reprehensible. YOUR jet is YOUR responsibility as PIC and if it crashes and kills kids it is on YOUR conscience. YOU signed for it and YOU decided to attempt whatever maneuver got your ass in that much trouble. If you couldn't hack it no one is to blame but YOU.

navyao

As much as I love a good air show, I will NEVER go to one where there are Russian pilots. It almost seems like an annual thing seeing the Russians crash and burn into a crowd of people. When he comes out of that manuever you can see the airplanes lost to much energy and she tail heavy. Did we ever hear if there was an engine problem or was it just that, he was too slow?