• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lying to the military to fly, terrible idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallDuck

Currently a civilian. Always wanted to fly, I'd kill to do so... 99% sure there is no hope for me, but I'm about to file for a disability claim with my work so I can take a mental break, and I know this will likely be the final nail in the coffin (I'm guessing this will put my issues on the radar, but I'm not 100% sure since this is an insurance company that processes claims, I may not file with the state). Below is a list of everything on my medical records that are obvious red flags. You might ask, why TF do you think I could possibly fly with these conditions, but I feel confident that most of them are situational, and can be largely resolved (currently living in a very stressful environment, getting zero sleep, and sick from mold poisoning on a daily basis).

I think I know he answered to this. Maybe I'm just in denial, in want a definitive "no" to put my mind at rest. Assuming most of these issues are temporary, and eventually get resolved, is there any hope before passing a physical to get into pilot training? Is it even worth the risk of lying? I need to know because once I file for disability to get some time off work, I'm sure it will be final.

anxiety (recent, and official diagnosis)
red/green color deficiency (I believe this was an official diagnosis long time ago)
mentions of a traumatic brain injury (no official diagnosis, but I mentioned some symptoms to my doctor)
tinnitus (unsure if this is officially diagnosed, but it's been mentioned A LOT)
sudden hearing loss in one ear which lasted for one day
childhood ADHD diagnosis, has been mentioned recently as well

EDIT: last time I took medication Was probably a decade ago. Doc prescribed medication for anxiety a few years back but I never picked it up from the pharmacy. Also had Nifedipine prescribed recently, also did not pick this up

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You’re not getting anywhere with red/green color deficiency for starters, and with good reason. Navigation lights on aircraft and ships are red, green, and white. Don’t apply for a job you physically can’t do just to sate your ego. It’s not your fault your genes for seeing color are what they are, but that’s incompatible with aviation service as well as any unrestricted line jobs I’m aware of. You can’t be OOD on a ship if you can’t visually tell where surrounding ships are pointing.

SmallDuck

You’re not getting anywhere with red/green color deficiency for starters, and with good reason. Navigation lights on aircraft and ships are red, green, and white. Don’t apply for a job you physically can’t do just to sate your ego. It’s not your fault your genes for seeing color are what they are, but that’s incompatible with aviation service as well as any unrestricted line jobs I’m aware of. You can’t be OOD on a ship if you can’t visually tell where surrounding ships are pointing.

Do you know if this would apply for all other branches as well (fixed and rotor-wing)? My color blindness seems to be very mild, and I heard that the Air Force as of recently has a new waiver? I wouldn't say it's so much about stating my ego, it's just genuinely something I would kill to do. But I totally get it, there are physical limitations, and I may not be cut out for it. just want to be 110% sure otherwise I'll be second guessing myself for the rest of my life. Thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know if this would apply for all other branches as well (fixed and rotor-wing)? My color blindness seems to be very mild, and I heard that the Air Force as of recently has a new waiver? I wouldn't say it's so much about stating my ego, it's just genuinely something I would kill to do. But I totally get it, there are physical limitations, and I may not be cut out for it. just want to be 110% sure otherwise I'll be second guessing myself for the rest of my life. Thanks
You’re physically disqualified for about four reasons, morally disqualified for thinking you should lie about it, and intellectually disqualified for not thinking that the Navy wouldn’t figure any of this out. No service will take you with your conditions.

The world needs great IT folks too… stick with that, and blossom where you’re planted.

exNavyOffRec

I'm a civilian currently working in the IT field. Always wanted to fly, I'd kill to do so... 99% sure there is no hope for me, but I'm about to file for a disability claim with my work so I can take a mental break, and I know this will likely be the final nail in the coffin (I'm guessing this will put my issues on the radar, but I'm not 100% sure since this is an insurance company that processes claims, I may not file with the state). Below is a list of everything on my medical records that are obvious red flags. You might ask, why TF do you think I could possibly fly with these conditions, but I feel confident that most of them are situational, and can be largely resolved (currently living in a very stressful environment, getting zero sleep, and sick from mold poisoning on a daily basis).

I think I know he answered to this. Maybe I'm just in denial, in want a definitive "no" to put my mind at rest. Assuming most of these issues are temporary, and eventually get resolved, is there any hope before passing a physical to get into pilot training? Is it even worth the risk of lying? I need to know because once I file for disability to get some time off work, I'm sure it will be final.

red/green color deficiency (I believe this was an official diagnosis long time ago)
mentions of a traumatic brain injury (no official diagnosis, but I mentioned some symptoms to my doctor)
tinnitus (unsure if this is officially diagnosed, but it's been mentioned A LOT)

Conditions don't need to be current to be disqualifying, it can be currently have or history of.

While a few of those conditions could be eventually waived with document reviews and consults others will more than likely shut you down not only for the USN but other services. Anxiety (current) and Tinnitus would be what would shut you down, especially if you are taking any medication for anxiety or have taken it in the past several years.

SmallDuck

You’re physically disqualified for about four reasons, morally disqualified for thinking you should lie about it, and intellectually disqualified for not thinking that the Navy wouldn’t figure any of this out. No service will take you with your conditions.

The world needs great IT folks too… stick with that, and blossom where you’re planted.
Yes, I am a dumbass. Like I said, I don't think it would work but stupid shit happens all the time. I just wanted a solidified answer so I can move on with my life, especially since these issues seem to be very temporary.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, I am a dumbass. Like I said, I don't think it would work but stupid shit happens all the time. I just wanted a solidified answer so I can move on with my life, especially since these issues seem to be very temporary.
Just so I understand, you're willing to put people's lives at risk - including your own - because "stupid shit happens all the time" and you want to roll the dice? Have you taken the time to think through what that actually means?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Your profile says you’re 35, not sure if that’s a typo or not, but if so you’re disqualified for age. Age cut off for naval aviation is 32, and while age waivers can be granted they often go for those with prior service and usually those not too far from the cut off (i.e someone who’s 33).

What that said and what others have said, you’re medically DQ for a variety of reasons. You can’t “hide” a color vision test. For the other record conditions, recent technology in electronic health records has allowed MEPS to view civilian records (called MHS Genesis). If you lie… MEPS WILL find out about it. This also may apply with security clearances finding out about mental health history…

You said you wanted a “solidified” answer… you got one from those either with aviation or recruiting experience (where I fall).

Just move on with life and excel somewhere else.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Ditto everyone above. To pile on, I think you seriously should re-evaluate your civilian career. I understand the “I need a break from work” mindset, and I have even timed my military leave to achieve that break at times. But filing for disability as a way to escape work (implying that the disability may not be truly genuine/disabling)… dumb idea, shows poor judgment and poor self-leadership. Or, it’s a genuine claim for a mental health break, and you truly are mentally disabled in the eyes of insurance law. Either way, a bad look for someone wanting to join the military.

If you hate your job, quit and find a new one. If you need an extended unpaid leave of absence, take one (or quit and find a next employer who offers that option, if your current one doesn’t). You can probably unlearn some of the things holding you back that @Brett327 aptly called out, but you are frankly old to be changing fundamental life behaviors it’s probably going to be a long, uphill, mindset-shifting effort requiring discipline and growth. I prefer Jocko podcast but there are other ways to learn leadership (including leadership of yourself) and Jocko certainly has his critics.

TL;DR: You probably need some civilian side maturity, too.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Currently a civilian. Always wanted to fly, I'd kill to do so... 99% sure there is no hope for me, but I'm about to file for a disability claim with my work so I can take a mental break, and I know this will likely be the final nail in the coffin (I'm guessing this will put my issues on the radar, but I'm not 100% sure since this is an insurance company that processes claims, I may not file with the state). Below is a list of everything on my medical records that are obvious red flags. You might ask, why TF do you think I could possibly fly with these conditions, but I feel confident that most of them are situational, and can be largely resolved (currently living in a very stressful environment, getting zero sleep, and sick from mold poisoning on a daily basis).

EDIT: last time I took medication Was probably a decade ago. Doc prescribed medication for anxiety a few years back but I never picked it up from the pharmacy. Also had Nifedipine prescribed recently, also did not pick this up
Even if you did lie, any branch would easily find 3 of those things on your first visit to MEPS and DQ you before youd even dream of touching an aviation medical.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Don't confuse criticism of Jocko with criticism of you for going out of your way to shill for Jocko.
Do you have a better leadership author/voice with free, on-the-shelf materials that anyone can learn from?

Genuinely asking. Give me a better option to use.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Currently a civilian. Always wanted to fly, I'd kill to do so..

Well. Don't do that. You definitely won't be able to fly anything if you do that.

There are opportunities for you to fly in sport aviation on the civilian side. You don't have to have a medical to fly gliders or light sport aircraft, you just have to be able to get a driver's license. I don't think you'd be able to get a Class 1 flight physical on the civilian side- but maybe you could get one for a student pilot cert. So go join a local glider club and try out flying sailplanes, or take a discovery flight and start flying little single engine airplanes.

To be honest, I think the civilian flying was a lot more fun as a whole than any military flying I've done.

SmallDuck

Just so I understand, you're willing to put people's lives at risk - including your own - because "stupid shit happens all the time" and you want to roll the dice? Have you taken the time to think through what that actually means?
That's not what I meant. As I previously mentioned, some people can recover from these issues (and as I mentioned, my mental health has been declining since I moved into a new place exposing me to mold). I am literally sick from mold poisoning, you have no idea what affects those can have on ones health. If it turns out my health never gets better, then OBVIOUSLY I'm not going to try and fly.... I think your missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.