• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAC Flights

snizo

Supply Officer
I just flew across country and back on a MAC flight and was wondering how Navy pilots wound up flying C-9s and C-40's (etc).

I remember when I was in primary, the Navy was trying to cut people by sending them directly in to the reserves (presumably FTS) after school. Those people were to fly the military equivalents of commercial passenger jets and cargo planes. But, if I recall, they were basically limited to a few years in as there was no future in that community. The pilots on my two flights, however, were Navy O-4s and O-5s.

117511608_f48371fb2e_m.jpg

c-40A_DVD-75-1_375x300.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're pretty much all reserve guys. I think the program to send guys direct to the VR community out of the TRACOM is gone.

Brett

snizo

Supply Officer
I'm assuming FTS/TAR, then? I guess that is a good way to get some hours in without having to deal with commercial pax.

Great flights, though. I probably never would have taken a MAC flight in my life if it weren't part of TAD. Friendly crew, no cavity searches by the TSA, etc. Space-A is a great benefit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Some guys are FTS, some guys are reservists. You apply at the end of your commitment and they do or don't select you.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
They're pretty much all reserve guys. I think the program to send guys direct to the VR community out of the TRACOM is gone.

Brett

It was a very temporary program to alleviate the overpopulation of flight school. Not a whole lot of people were accepted, and they were only looking for a specific year group as well. My mom ran into some of the C-40 pilots from NAS JRB Ft Worth one day and found out that several were former helo bubbas. Its something I sure wouldn't mind doing later on to stay in the cockpit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have just one thing to say for a twighlight tour: VR-51. Those who "know" will know what I'm saying.