• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maj Gen Bolden to head NASA?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure where this falls in the rumor-truth spectrum, but word is Maj. Gen. Bolden will shortly be announced as Pres' Obama's nominee to head NASA.

I'm not sure, but has there ever been an astronaut as Administrator?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Here's a question for any astronaut types out there...

How does applying for astronaut affect your military career? Does astronaut branch you into a different career path, do you stop being an astronaut and go back to the fleet when your tour is done, or is your military career kinda go away and you progress through NASA???

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is. MGEN Bolden is one of the few who hung up his space suit and went back to the workin' military. AFAIK, there's nothing stopping the rest from doing the same. I guess it's just that by the time you've ridden the Shuttle a few times you've been out of the loop a long time, you're probably a senior O-6, and competing for your Flag against guys who've been commanding squadrons, wings, CAG's, carriers, etc. I don't know if a rocket ride or two necessarily outweighs all that with the folks who hand out stars.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
It is. MGEN Bolden is one of the few who hung up his space suit and went back to the workin' military. AFAIK, there's nothing stopping the rest from doing the same. I guess it's just that by the time you've ridden the Shuttle a few times you've been out of the loop a long time, you're probably a senior O-6, and competing for your Flag against guys who've been commanding squadrons, wings, CAG's, carriers, etc. I don't know if a rocket ride or two necessarily outweighs all that with the folks who hand out stars.

340x.jpg

Gen Kevin Chilton, Commander STRATCOM, is another example. His bio (here and here) shows a pretty interesting career. I guess if you can make it through the astronaut selection process (particularly from the military side) you probably piss excellence as a matter of course. Still, as Fester mentions it has to be hard to jump back into the game and compete against your peers who have been in more traditional billets.

(Note: For every example, there is a counter-example; in this case, she at least had her Depends along in case she pissed excellence...

0206nowak.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MGEN Bolden has indeed been nominated to be the head of NASA.

And assuming he's confirmed, he'll be the second former astronaut (and second flag officer) to hold the job. The first was VADM Richard Truly, administrator from '89 to '92, former F-8 guy, flew Enterprise, the second flight of Columbia, and Challenger.

Col. Fredrick Gregory (USAF) was briefly Acting Administrator a few years ago.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Isn't she still an active O-6?? I don't think her case has been adjudicated yet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't she still an active O-6?? I don't think her case has been adjudicated yet.

I believe she is, and still at CNATRA. The last I heard her lawyers were still appealing the admissibility of some of the evidence.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
She may be an O-6, but I will go out on a limb and say that she's nuttier than squirrel turds. That mug shot juxtaposed w/ the NASA PR shot looks like a before/after crystal meth example.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
She was still at CNATRA when I was stashed there a while back. Interesting water cooler convos abound.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Not sure where this falls in the rumor-truth spectrum, but word is Maj. Gen. Bolden will shortly be announced as Pres' Obama's nominee to head NASA.

I'm not sure, but has there ever been an astronaut as Administrator?

Everything I've heard about him (from a couple of people who worked for him) is that he's an excellent choice for this position.

phrogpilot73

Everything I've heard about him (from a couple of people who worked for him) is that he's an excellent choice for this position.
I don't know anything about the guy other than that he was my deputy commandant, and an honorary member of our class. He jumped at the opportunity to be the guest of honor for our 10 year reunion. Good people all around, and I can't think of a single bad thing to think about the man.