• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Command at Sea/Shore for Aviators (including Marine CAG opportunity)

jmcquate

Contributor
Now that Marine Corps squadrons are integrated into Carrier Air Wings, can a Marine Corps O-6 become a CAG?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now that Marine Corps squadrons are integrated into Carrier Air Wings, can a Marine Corps O-6 become a CAG?

Yes, it has already happened.

Marine CAG for CVW-9

Technically he is not the first Marine CAG as far as I know, the CO of VMF(AW)-212 took over as a temporary CAG in Vietnam when Commander Stockdale was shot down in 1965.

Marine 'CAG'

Will it probably happen often? My guess is no, since it is not a core USMC mission.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of who can be CAG:

I know there are plenty of command jobs "reserved" for certain communities, e.g., CVN captains come from tailhook communities and the helo bubbas get to be LHA captains. But is that written down somewhere (in MILPERSMAN or whatever), or is it just tradition? Only law I know of is that carrier captains have to be winged aviators, which is why guys like Halsey and "Slew" McCain went through flight training in their more advanced years.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

I know there are plenty of command jobs "reserved" for certain communities, e.g., CVN captains come from tailhook communities and the helo bubbas get to be LHA captains. But is that written down somewhere (in MILPERSMAN or whatever), or is it just tradition? Only law I know of is that carrier captains have to be winged aviators, which is why guys like Halsey and "Slew" McCain went through flight training in their more advanced years.

This statement about CVN skippers isn't entirely accurate. HS bubbas seem to be CVN COs on a regular basis now, but obviously in the minority when it comes to command of the carriers.

I believe the Reagan has an HS CO/XO combinantion right now.

http://www.reagan.navy.mil/leadership.html

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This statement about CVN skippers isn't entirely accurate. HS bubbas seem to be CVN COs on a regular basis now...
There's a retired former CV skipper/HELO driver on Whidbey right now ... or mebbe he's in Everett ... don't remember the ship. He said it surprised everyone except him ... :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, see, there you go. Answers my question.

How about the CO of big-deck Gators? I've been told that's a jealously guarded bailiwick of the Helo types.

Edit: I notice from a casual Google that the current CO of NASSAU is a SWO, though the XO is an HC guy. SO LHAs aren't considered "carriers" for legal purposes?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
There's a retired former CV skipper/HELO driver on Whidbey right now ... or mebbe he's in Everett ... don't remember the ship. He said it surprised everyone except him ... :)

Even more follow up on who commands CVNs/Big Decks...

In the case of LHA/LHDs, the CO and XO are a combination of Aviation and SWO. I looked through the various ship pages using navy.mil and most of Aviators have helo backgrounds, but I did find an exception!

http://www.iwo-jima.navy.mil/site pages/bios.aspx

Tailhook on a big deck!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I guess the "tailhookers get CV/Ns, Helo bubbas get Gators" thing was a relic of the past, from back in the day when we still had enough boats to be picky like that.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
The previous commodore of TW-5 had been the XO of a carrier and he was a helo guy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Can NFO's command CV's as well, or is that just an Aviator thing?
RADM Lyle Bull, a former OCS grad, Whale B/N, and one of the initial 6 B/N cadre for the nascent A-6 Intruder, became the CO of the CONNIE in the early 80's after serving as CO of a fleet oiler or fast support ship -- can't remember.

That used to be the progression when your "number" came up for potential CV Skipper -- a deep draft command (usually a fleet auxiliary) and if successful there (some crashed & burned as they ran 'em aground or had collisions :)) you moved on to command the seagoing bird farm.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, it has already happened.

Marine CAG for CVW-9

Technically he is not the first Marine CAG as far as I know, the CO of VMF(AW)-212 took over as a temporary CAG in Vietnam when Commander Stockdale was shot down in 1965.

Marine 'CAG'

Will it probably happen often? My guess is no, since it is not a core USMC mission.

The Marine CAG is a one for one trade for letting a Navy O-6 be the MAG-12 CO.

Brett

In Pursuit

pilot

Here's the legal stuff from Navy Regulations (which are considered law)

§ 700.1056 Command of a ship.

The officer detailed to command an aircraft carrier, an aircraft tender, or a ship with a primary task of operating or supporting aircraft shall be an officer of the line in the navy, eligible for command at sea, designated as a naval aviator or naval flight officer.

§ 700.1057 Command of an air activity.

The officer detailed to command a naval aviation school, a naval air station, or a naval air unit organized for flight tactical purposes shall be an officer of the line in the navy, designated as a naval aviator or naval flight officer, eligible for command at sea.

The officer detailed to command a Marine Corps air unit organized for flight tactical purpose shall be an officer of the Marine Corps, designated as a naval aviator or naval flight officer.