• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackMac

I posted this quesiton on the Navy OCS site and was told I could get more information here. I am a 16 year old High School Junior. I want to go to OCS after college and be a surface warfare officer or a pilot. I was curious if one major would be better than the others. I heard physics is good. If that is true, would it benefit me to take a physics class at my High School? I don't know if OCS even looks at your High School grades, and I am hoping they don't because I didn't do so well my first two years. My total GPA is around a 2.3. I do have two years left to raise it, but I want to know if that will hurt my chances anyway. Thank you for any help!

May The Force Be With You

Jim

While it is true that the Navy looks more favorably at those applicants with degrees in engineering or science, a degree in anything will get you an OCS slot if your grades are high enough and if you have other things to put on your application such as work experience, varsity sports, leadership activities, etc. As far as taking physics in high school, i'd definitely go for it. Also try to take some higher level math such as calculus if your school offers it. You'll either love or hate these classes, but at least this way you'll have some idea what you'll be getting into with a physics major in college. My advice would be to study something you like and not to get a degree just to please the Navy. Reason one is you don't want to be miserable for 4 years doing something you hate and second there may always come a day when you leave the military and want to find a job in the civilian world. Just my two cents.

-jim

marti

I'll second what HARTMAN said and add that you should look at getting a degree in something that interests you. If you are really interested in engineering when you get to college then major in that. If not don't worry about it a degree is a degree when your are applying to OCS.

JackMac

Thanks for the replys! The truth is I am not really sure what major I want to choose, if OCS was not a factor. I have always been interested in Astronomy and Anthropolgy. I read that SWO is very tough to get, and if an Engineering degree will help me get in, I'm all for it. If I don't get in or change my mind, I don't think I'll be stuck with a degree in Engineering! On the other hand, I do understand that if I am not too interested in my Major, my GPA will suffer. Oh well, I have 2 years to sort myself out.

tali264

can I just make a comment about choosing a major. I am a biomedical engineering major. I didn't really know what I wanted to do in high school. I always liked biology and figuring out how the body worked and was good in math, so I kind of got pushed in that direction. I figured, what the hell, engineers make good money, I'll major in that. I'm in my senior year now and have my spot in the Navy, but if I didn't, I don't know what I would do. Because to tell you the truth, I don't really enjoy engineering. I think you should major in what you are truly interested in, because if you don't go into the navy, then you have a degree in something you will hate. Not a good idea. I'm sure you can find something that is compatible both ways. Also, engineering isn't easy. You will actually have to go to class, and study, and do extra work. And do all this while your other friends can go out drinking because they have an easier major. And if you do decide to go engineering, yes take physics. I also took two years of calc and advanced chem and biology. Just some things to ponder while making your decision.

Beth

JackMac

If, for one reason or another, I don't get SWO and I take another position, is it true that I can transfer to SWO? If it is, would I have a better shot at making it after two years in another officer field?

uncledave

Hello JackMac,
First of all, I would like to say that I am a Mathematics major and I am up at 3 am currently studying for a calculus test. I know, I know...why am I on here right now, well I need a break after the previous 11 hours of studying! I will be back at it studying for another 5 hours after this post...or until class starts. But back on the main topic. If you wanna get a technical degree, do it, they are the most highest paying jobs AND your recruiter will like seeing it. The USMC OSO I am working with is very optimistic of my chances for an officer position with having a Mathematics degree to go in my application. Pilots have degrees in many subjects, but honestly, all the pilots that drive fighters I know personaly, mostly AF, have tech degrees like engineering. Engineering is the best, then Math and Physics next. An f-16 pilot I know has a Mech engineering degree. I know another f-16 driver with a Mathematics. I am willing to bet that there is a strong positive correlation between technical degrees and higher ASTB scores and probably NSS also. Just my honest opinion.
icon_smile_wink.gif

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
JackMac, major in whatever you want to do:
a) if you don't get into the Navy
b) after you retire from the Navy

If you have 6-7 years until you graduate from college, chances are your preferences and interests are going to change a little. Also, it wouldn't hurt to get a private sector job for a little while after school to see what that's like. Gives you some perspective on everything...

Hartman, if you're gonna tell him to do that, you gotta teach him how to deal with the "brown-baggers". Not that I would ever do that...

JackMac

Here is how I see it now, b looking at my local college descripion of the Astronomy department, I KNOW that I could do very well in that class. Now is a 3.5 or above in Astronomy equal in value to the military as a 3.0 or less in Engineering? Thanks(The college calls the degree a "Degree in Physics with concentration in Astronomy" whatever that means)

skywagon

JackMac, I was a "less than top performer" in high school. I was told that engineering was too hard. Don't let it scare you if that is what interests you. Math and Physics are not "spectator sports". They are subjects that are tough to learn visually. You just have to practice solving problems alot to learn them well. Engineering is seen as a desirable degree not because of all the math but because of all of the problem solving. If I could do it--anyone can. Also, look at the above posts and think about how employable you will be. Engineers never go hungry. To get a B.S. in Astronomy you will have to take all of the math and most of the physics anyway. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.