• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mandatory GA bird-strike reporting?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
If they could make it mandatory, anonymous reporting they might see support for it. I guess it really depends on their motive of the reporting system. If the motive is to look for trends on the what/where/when of an animal strike to help prevent future strikes than the system will be useful. On the other hand, I would hate to see the reporting system be used to criticize how GA aircraft are being operated and how inherently unsafe GA is or further whatever other agenda the FAA/Fed may have.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
More often than not, you are already going to have to submit a report for an Aircraft Accident/Incident to the NTSB or FAA anyways.

This will just fill in the holes

I don't think this will become a really big deal.

Course you hit a bird every week then you may have some raised eyebrows in your direction.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
You only have to submit a report to the NTSB for an Aircraft Accident and that is the FAA definition of accident (serious injury, substantial damage, etc) and a list of selected incidents. If you hit a bird, squirrel, or whatever else and it does not qualify as an accident or one of the selected incidents, it does not have to be reported. They do have the Aviation Safety Reporting system that is voluntary but that is primarily used to save your ass after busting a FAR although I don't see why it couldn't be used to submit a birdstrike (I think this is the current voluntary reporting system the article refers to).

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
You only have to submit a report to the NTSB for an Aircraft Accident and that is the FAA definition of accident (serious injury, substantial damage, etc) and a list of selected incidents. If you hit a bird, squirrel, or whatever else and it does not qualify as an accident or one of the selected incidents, it does not have to be reported. They do have the Aviation Safety Reporting system that is voluntary but that is primarily used to save your ass after busting a FAR although I don't see why it couldn't be used to submit a birdstrike (I think this is the current voluntary reporting system the article refers to).

Defiantly showing that I need a proficiency check ;)

gotta love that NASA form tho, never had to use it (knock on wood) but I'm always happy to know it's there.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Only 28 aircraft since 2000? I think you actually have a better chance of getting the swine flu than suckin a bird in, but I'll have to re-crunch the numbers ... good thing the government will save us all from both. Nothing like more legislation to make ya feel safer.