• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Many Questions, any help appreciated.

BLiTzKRiEG

I am college student that is set to graduate in less than 1 month with a degree in computer science. I have been considering a career in the Navy after graduation for quite some time. Over the past week, I've been doing hours of research about OCS, A school, and other aspects of a naval career. I just have a quick rundown of a few questions to clear up before speaking to a recruiter again. Thanks for any help in advance, I'm sure I'll be making good use of these message boards in the near future :)

How selective is the process to get into OCS?

- I had a 3.9 GPA (Salutatorian), was captain of numerous varsity sports and graduated from a leadership program while in High School. While in college, I maintained a 3.0 GPA in computer science out of the college of engineering. From what I understand, there are also some interviews for getting into OCS. I am just wondering if I will have the credentials to get in.

After OCS, are the career choices limited or more vast than enlisted? What is the best place to find information on specific career fields?

- I know that navy.com has their career thing, but it doesn't tell me much other than the specific job field... and "Engineer" doesn't help me with the specifics of a field.

Is there somewhere that I can get information about what careers are used at what bases?

- I have been reading up on A school and from several websites, the Navy has a good chance of allowing you to go where you want depending on their need. I am just wanting to try to put together a general idea of the careers used at each Naval station so that when I complete OCS and A school, I can choose the best option for myself.

schwarti

Contributor
A few quick answers - bear in mind that I'm an applicant, so there are other guys out here who have a much better idea of what they're talking about. Your first step is to talk to an officer recruiter - make sure you're getting an officer recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter. The enlisted recruiters are the ones who need to worry about quotas, so they might encourage you to enlist. That's not necessarily bad, but everyone I've met always says go for officer if you can. Not only that, but an enlisted recruiter won't have experience with officer programs, so you might miss out on something awesome, like BDCP.

1. The only way of having a 100% chance of rejection is to not apply. Your GPA looks good, but there are other things they look at. They're big on the "well-rounded person" thing. Extracurriculars, volunteer work, your job history, letters of recommendation are all important, as is your ASTB score. As for interviews - I'm a civilian, no prior service, applying for SWO, I/W and Supply, and I didn't need any. I think you only need them if you're prior enlisted or you're applying for NUPOC. Not 100% on that.

2. As an officer, you'd be supervising enlisted personnel in their specific jobs - you're more general. So there are more enlisted jobs that focus on specific things, but you'd be in charge of them. For example, a Supply officer would be in charge of various enlisted personnel, ranging from cooks to clerks. The best way to find out more about individual communities is to speak with an officer recruiter - or someone in that community.

3. It's hard to say - but remember that it's all about the needs of the Navy, and you'll be sent where they need you. You might have a limited selection, but don't count on getting that one dream billet. Also, A school is not for officers. After OCS (or OIS, if you're non-supply staff corps), you'll either go to the fleet or your follow-on school, depending on what community you're in. (Aviation, surface warfare, Intel, etc.)

Finally, use the search function on this site. There's a LOT of great gouge here, and chances are, most of the questions you'll have have been asked before. Good luck.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I am college student that is set to graduate in less than 1 month with a degree in computer science. I have been considering a career in the Navy after graduation for quite some time. Over the past week, I've been doing hours of research about OCS, A school, and other aspects of a naval career. I just have a quick rundown of a few questions to clear up before speaking to a recruiter again. Thanks for any help in advance, I'm sure I'll be making good use of these message boards in the near future :)

This is a great place to start. Do a search, and you'll be amazed at what turns up.

How selective is the process to get into OCS?

- I had a 3.9 GPA (Salutatorian), was captain of numerous varsity sports and graduated from a leadership program while in High School. While in college, I maintained a 3.0 GPA in computer science out of the college of engineering. From what I understand, there are also some interviews for getting into OCS. I am just wondering if I will have the credentials to get in.
Depends on what programs you're applying for and what the other applicants look like.
After OCS, are the career choices limited or more vast than enlisted? What is the best place to find information on specific career fields?

- I know that navy.com has their career thing, but it doesn't tell me much other than the specific job field... and "Engineer" doesn't help me with the specifics of a field.
There are less officer designators than enlisted ratings. As far as job descriptions go, best bet is to talk to an officer recruiter.

Is there somewhere that I can get information about what careers are used at what bases?
Most jobs are needed at most bases... For instance, as an aviator, when you're attached to a squadron, you'll be at a Naval Air Station such as Pensacola or Lemoore. But when your on a shore tour, any base that has a job your qualified for is fair game.

- I have been reading up on A school and from several websites, the Navy has a good chance of allowing you to go where you want depending on their need. I am just wanting to try to put together a general idea of the careers used at each Naval station so that when I complete OCS and A school, I can choose the best option for myself.
Officers don't go to A school. You will go through a school specific to your job though.

Basically, when you submit your application, you'll pick up to three jobs you want, and if the board sees fit, you'll be offered that job contingent upon completion of OCS. I.e, you'll apply for a NFO slot, and the board will say "Yes, if you finish OCS and are medically qualified, you can go to flight school to be an NFO".

Its sort of a dumbed down way to explain it, but that's the bread and butter of it.

Cheers,
Bubba

BLiTzKRiEG

Thanks for all the info.

Apparently I was mislead on the A school assumption. Thank you for clearing it up.

I will be using the search function for much of the day today.