• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine air contract in NROTC

Patrack

I was wondering when and how difficult it was for Marine options in NROTC to obtain an air contract compared to the other routes of commission. Thanks in advance.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I tutored a MECEP for the ASTB and he told me you needed at least 6/6/6 on the ASTB, and meet all other physical requirements in order to get the aviation guarantee from the USMC. It's the only MOS that you can be sure of before going into TBS.

~Red

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
it's been a while since I took the ASTB, so I don't remember the actual passing scores however....

you can get one. you just need a current military flight physical, to pass the ASTB, and then there's an application process to go through.

best thing to do is ask your MOI for the specifics on the application. he'll be able to give you the details.

hope this helps!

pjxc415

pilot
redmidgrl - thats actually not true. you can be a law contract going into tbs and therefore know that you will be a jag. Also, they are doing a new program (not sure of the name) where they are guaranteeing infantry if you contract to serve 2 years active and then two years in the reserve. Just met a guy today (at TBS) who is in that situation. Their goal is to get more Lieutenants into the reserve - the reserve officer corps is mainly composed of captains.

To answer the first question - in terms of the difficulty getting an air contract out of nrotc - its not any more difficult than through plc. However, I will say that it takes a bit more persistance. Get the ball rolling your freshman year or asap. I requested it my freshman year of college, kept requesting air physicals my sophomore and junior years, didn't get the physical until senior year, submitted the paperwork second semester senior year, and found out I got the air contract 4 months after commissioning. Bottom line - nrotc units are slow. Be persistent, study your ass off for the astb, be a good Marine option and a good human being, and I will say you will have a very good shot at getting the guarantee. Any other questions let me know.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If you're already a Marine option, congrats. If you're a Navy guy trying to see if there's an easier way, this ain't for you. With that said, you can't apply too early. Myself, especially as a MECEP, needed to have the app up to MCRC by 31 May of my junior year. As far as how hard it is to get a spot- As long as you can fulfill the minimums you have a shot. MC minimums are higher on the ASTB for some reason (I thought we were supposed to be dumb). Also, I am going to search for the link to the MOI site on this stuff. It has good gouge. I'll have it up in a little while.

GT Propjock

When I went through, the MECEP'ers had a higher standard than the normal MIDS on getting a flight contract. There was a MECEP'er who had better grades on the tests than I did, and he didn't get the contract while I did, so FWIW. No idea on if there were other circumstances, he ended up with a NFO contract.

Timeline wise, I didn't put in for my contract until early to mid way through my senior year and heard back a couple of weeks prior to commissioning, mainly due to waivers that I had get for Cardio, and Ortho stuff, and that took an extra month or two to get that stuff in. So, while you should start early, you don't have to worry too much if you don't get it in early.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
redmidgrl - thats actually not true. you can be a law contract going into tbs and therefore know that you will be a jag. Also, they are doing a new program (not sure of the name) where they are guaranteeing infantry if you contract to serve 2 years active and then two years in the reserve.

Noted, thanks.

~Red