• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Chopper down in Kaneohe Bay

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
the article said:
The Navy's Waterfront Operations placed an oil boom around the craft to contain any spills from spreading in the environment, but no fluids were seen leaking out, Olson said.

Any Navy aircraft that isn't leaking is immediately suspect, if you ask me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Glad to hear it turned out OK, and they got it down with all folks OK. Sounds like everyone and their MOTHER was out flying and wanted to help!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
....Sounds like everyone and their MOTHER was out flying and wanted to help!

That's what San Diego was like back in the early/mid 80's. By 9:00 AM Monday through Friday, there were helos from three RAGs (so 6 -12 aircraft) up in the air. Not to mention whatever the fleet squadrons had going on that day. So when a SAR event happened during those hours, the response was quite hearty.

bluemarlin04

I guess they changed the article. Last night around 0100 the article said all Marines were safe and accounted for. Now the press release says one didn't make it. RIP Marine. Sad day.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess they changed the article. Last night around 0100 the article said all Marines were safe and accounted for. Now the press release says one didn't make it. RIP Marine. Sad day.
And this is why we don't speculate or give the wives' club/press any ammo in a mishap. Imagine if your NOK had to deal with "he's ok. No, he's dead. No, he's not dead, he's just hurt badly." Or just as bad, "according to Navy aircrew on AW, the mishap was most likely a result of aircrew error." And that last was a pure hypothetical, NOT related to the above.

Freaking reporters.

bluemarlin04

And this is why we don't speculate or give the wives' club/press any ammo in a mishap. Imagine if your NOK had to deal with "he's ok. No, he's dead. No, he's not dead, he's just hurt badly." Or just as bad, "according to Navy aircew on AW, the mishap was most likely a result of aircrew error." And that last was a pure hypothetical, NOT related to the above.

Freaking reporters.

I couldn't imagine.

The board may be interested on how the news traveled. I was at a bar (bob's for those who live in Kailua) with a friend when I logged on to facebook and read a status update. The friend I mentioned who's dad was out fishing put a status update up saying it happened. I logged on to the Staradvertiser and nothing was there. But, within a very short period of time they had the original article I posted. Social media has definitely changed on how news gets out.

Mods: If this isn't appropriate to post I'll delete it.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My late mother had two instances of "speculation" about my injury and demise, that really affected her for many years after.

1. While at sea in WestPac, someone in Europe with the same unusually spelled name as I was killed in a plane crash. The news wires picked up the story with my name.

The first thing my mother heard while walking on main street in our small 4,000 population town, was people coming up to her with condolences on the "loss of her son." She was extremely distressed, and didn't know who to call or what to do but to cry.

Later she was quite happily surprised when I called her from Cubi Pt. a day or too later. I had no idea the emotional trauma she went through.

2. While jogging in Atsugi during an in-port period, I blew out my knee. I stayed at the Yokosuka Hosiptal, awaiting MedEvac to Balboa NH in San Dog.

The CO of the Naval Hospital was 'kind' enough to send a "Telegram" to my mother that said essentially:

"Your son has been injured. But rest assured, he is under the best of care at the Yokosuka Naval Hospital." In those days, telegrams usually meant very bad news.
Now since my mother really worried I would not survive Vietnam, and I had been flying combat missions, she thought I had some really serious, combat injuries.

Bottom line: Always think of family and kin, if you need to speculate. And make sure they all have been well notified first, at the very least.