• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Ceremony

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Something I was thinking about earlier today...

When you get the EGA pinning after completing OCS, is that actually part of the commissioning ceremony? Or are they two seperate ceremonies? I'm looking at doing 10 week PLC next summer. I know that the commission ceremony happens after the college is done, and that I would not be an officer until then. But would you still be considered a Marine and get the EGA, or does that not come until you get your bars?

Or maybe I'm just way out of line with my train of thought.

Thanks! :icon_smil

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
I think they gave us our EGA's the day before graduation. It was definetly seperate from the graduation ceremony though, with just the platoon and the platoon staff present. Low key but pretty awesome nonetheless.

Slammer2

Contributor
nocal80 said:
I think they gave us our EGA's the day before graduation. It was definetly seperate from the graduation ceremony though, with just the platoon and the platoon staff present. Low key but pretty awesome nonetheless.

Thanks. Did you do PLC like PSNO23 or were you OCC?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I did PLC Combined in 2002... No ceremony/no EGAs... The first EGA I ever got came in the mail with my dress blues before commissioning.

Slammer2

Contributor
Hmmm...so it seems like only the OCCers go through the EGA pinning thing. Thanks guys.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Slammer2 said:
Hmmm...so it seems like only the OCCers go through the EGA pinning thing. Thanks guys.

They wouldn't have something as significant as an EGA ceremony for some OCS classes and not others.

They don't do the EGA ceremony for anyone anymore. I also read "One of Us" and looked forward to it upon graduation, espeically seeing as how I'd have to wait a year for commissioning. Alas, they aren't doing them anymore.

There was alot of speculation as to why floating around our squad bay. Most people figured they don't give EGA's because we've been wearing them embroidered on our cammies since uniform issue. It would have been nice to have been welcomed officially to the brotherhood of the Marine Corps but it didn't happen. We even asked our platoon commander if we were Marines after graduation. He said, "Well, you've filled the requirements set be the Marine Corps, but..." Essentially, until you're commissioned, no EGA, you're not a Marine.

usmcecho4

pilot
Back in the "old" corps around the turn of the century (2001) the seniors would iron on EGAs to their cammies before graduation. Now the closest thing you get is real name tapes (last name US MARINES) on your cammies. Not as moto as an ega ceremony but still pretty cool.

s/f,
usmcecho4

Slammer2

Contributor
Slammer2 said:
DocT said:
They don't do the EGA ceremony for anyone anymore.

And yet another option that I did not consider. I enjoyed reading "One of Us" as well.

DocT said:
We even asked our platoon commander if we were Marines after graduation. He said, "Well, you've filled the requirements set be the Marine Corps, but..." Essentially, until you're commissioned, no EGA, you're not a Marine.

The other day at the OSO office, someone referred to that as a 3rd. Lt. Too bad they don't do the ceremony anymore. That would be sweet. Thanks for the input.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Slammer2 said:
Thanks. Did you do PLC like PSNO23 or were you OCC?

I was PLC combined in 2001. It sounds like that was the last year they did the whole EGA ceremony. Kind of a bummer, but don't sweat it, your commissioning ceremony will definetly make up for it and be a lot cooler.

Ann Merke

I JUST graduated on the 12th, OCC 189, and there was absolutely NO EGA ceremony, whatsoever. We just showed up to commissioning in our Alphas, with our EGAs pinned on. The only "ceremony" was annoying (in a good way) the priors in my platoon the day before graduation by making them repeatedly check our uniforms to make sure the EGAs and ribbon were all put on correctly. !!

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Since you brought up TBS...

Just remember... just because you made it through OCS and got your bars pinned on doesn't mean they can't be taken away. I'm not trying to come off as a jerk...I'm just saying I think TBS is where the REAL OCS is. TBS is the final screening phase to see if you have the leadership ability required to lead Marines. People do attrite.

All I'm saying is Congrats...you made it. But at TBS they aren't going to treat you like you did.