• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS Jan 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

airwinger

pilot
I pretty excited as I just got word from the OSO office that I have been accepted to attend OCS in jan.(exactly 4 years since trainding day 1 in boot camp :)
I would be more than happy to shed a little bit of light on the application process from MY perspective.
Semper Fi,
airwinger

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Airwinger, congratulations! Sounds like a lot of people around here are getting good news before the holidays. And I am sure other people would be glad to hear about YOUR perspective!

Raptor2216

Good job man, keep us updated on your progress. I got PLC in july, so I don't know if that overlaps with OCS at all? Good luck man.

airwinger

pilot
Raptor -No there won't be any OCS overlap. OCC is scheduled to end March 29th, so I should get commissioned then(hopefully) followed by TBS starting on April 4th. So I will see you at TBS.

JohnThe reason I was stressing MY perspective is that I've had a superb OSO, and I always hear of recruiter complaints plus I only have a very low level perspective of what really goes on(e.g I don't know that the board or flight surgeon look for :)

I formally approached the OSO office in dec 2000, and since they knew of my interest in the program, they were willing to let me take the flight physcial at NAS Jax I jhven't seen much coverage on it, but this is how my physical went.

Medical
Get there the night before, billetting in the same motel MEPS uses. Get to NAS by 7 a.m do some paperwork, and then get briefed. It's pretty much do it yourself as you decide the fastest way to see
1)opthamology
2)radiology
3)dental
4)blood work/piss in the bottle:)
5)anthromorphic(i.e buttock knee length and reach
6)EKG
7) flight surgeon to wrap up.

The flight surgeon was pretty impressive being both a D.O(Doctor of Osteopathy) and an F-18 pilot.

My only piece of advice is, see opthamology last. You do two eye tests and obviously need to read signs, and after dilation you can't see a thing. I know I was really anxious about it, but the good news is unless it is some really wierd stuff that shows up, more than likely if you've taken physicals before you'll know if YOU can pass or not.

Paperwork
I had to wait for a while as my citizenship stuff wrapped up, then I could fill out the initial 8 page application. Little did I know that the paper monster had just began. I also had to supply 5 references and fill out the huge SF86(?) that is used to do a Single Scope Background investigation for a secret clearance, plus add transcripts from college. The marines don't need really high gpa's as the minimum to contract is 2.0(I've heard that a 2.7 is competitive.) I had lucked onto a 3.3 in computer engineering so that was one more box I could check.

ASTB
Next came the ASTB. The ARCO guide, reading aviation books(such as a ground school text) and taking a couple of joy rides should help in this one. It is scored as in stanines (1-9) with the tests combined to give an Academic Aptitude(AA), Pilot/Flight OFficer Aptitude Rating(PFAR) and Pilot or Flight Officer Biographical Inventory(PBI/FOBI) minimum to contract is 4/6/4. My OSO actually drove up to gainesville to let me take it. Somehow they messed up the grading and I wound up with a 8/9/7.

PFT
Next was the PFT. The Marine pft is composed of a 3 mile run(18/21 minutes to max male/female) crunches(100 to max) and pullups/flex arm hang(20 pullups for males) I managed a 265, not to good but enough to qualify(minimum is 225).
At that point I signed a lot of papers, took a picture and raised my right hand-I was contracted.

The workhorse of the process is the secretary. In my case she had an Air Force Captain/daughter and I guess she adopted me since she could remember me as a freshman badgering the then OSO to talk to me. She spent hours typing up forms, tracking me down for corrections and calling up all sorts of people. She compiles everything tests, medical, transcripts, contracts, 100 word statment(in your own hand) etc into what will eventually be your Officer Qualification Record.

Board
After this was just waiting for the board to meet. I hear that once they accept your package you are considered qualified unless something crops up(lied about police record), and that they simply rank order the applicants, and grant however many seats they have. If you don't get slated, you are automatically passed onto the next class( thus OCC 179 has 80 people who initially applied to OCC 178)

Anyway, that's just my perspective. I would urge others who have been through any part of this to post their views to provide an interested readers with the broadest perspective possible.

I would also like to point out that it is incredible EASIER to get an Aviation contract than to get a ground one, I'm not even sure I would have been picked if I had chosen ground vice aviation :)
Anyway good luck to you all.
Semper fi,
airwinger aka Cpl W

References

1)Info on the ASTB
http://prodevweb.prodev.usna.edu/SVC_Assign/ASTB/ASTBnew.htm

http://navyrotc.mit.edu/www/aviation/astb.stm

2)Info on Flight physical
http://www.vnh.org/AeroWaiverGuide/exams.htm

3)Info on marine officer programs
http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/aer/MCOB/officer.pdf

4)Info on OCS
http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/ocs/

Edited by - airwinger on 12/20/2001 16:01:26

Edited by - airwinger on 12/20/2001 16:02:22

SamDamon

airwinger,
Thanks for the summary. that is good info.
Question:
you said," I would also like to point out that it is incredible EASIER to get an Aviation contract than to get a ground one, I'm not even sure I would have been picked if I had chosen ground vice aviation :)"

-Really? Why?

airwinger

pilot
SamDamon,
The "it's alot easier to get a ground vice air contract" is a quote from my OSO, and I'm assuming is based on his experience which I take to mean there are far more applicants per ground slot than per air slot. As to why, I don't have the answer but I assume that:
1) Most people who want to fly pick the Air force then the Navy then the Corps. You'd be surprised how often people ask "The Marines fly" when I tell them what I plan to do.

2) Further the idea of 6 months of infantry training tends to put people off.

3) Then on the ground side, the reputation of Marine infantry officers tends to attract a large number of people, you'd be surprised how many.

In the book airwarriors(appropriate citation huh) one of the SNA's reveals that he wanted to be an infantry officer, but at TBS he couldn't get a slot so he was 'stuck' with aviation and hornets
Glad you enjoyed reading the above.
Semper fi,
airwinger

Raptor2216

Reading about the way that guy feel's(felt?) about the "air contract" and "hornets" almost hurt my virgin eyes. Anyway, it is so much easier to get the air slot than the ground slot in the marines because of the fact that very few people qualify to begin with. Also, if you apply at a young age(i.e. 1st or 2nd year of college) there is a very good chance(80-90%) that you will get in. I was talking with the staff seargent who did my paperwork about how the last board meeting and he told me that 2-3 out of 10 people got a ground slot. These people were graduates ofcourse, but the all of the 2nd year college student got an air slot. That 13 people i'm talking about. So, if you want to fly then apply as soon as you possibly can.

Anyway, i got a quick question for Matt. Hey, how much does the average hornet pilot make? Also, how much does the average pilot in general make? Approximation is good enough. Thanks.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Matt,
Do you know why according to that scale that your flight pay goes down from 14 to 22? just thought that seems a little wired.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Falcaner,
No, its not a matter of flying as much. Primarily, by the time you reach 17 1/2 years you legally have a retirement. In other words, they got you until 20. The incentive for you to stay is now retirement and not flying. At this point in your career, depending on how you good you are at the administrative side of the house, you are probably flying more then ever. All my CO's were flying their "assets" off.
Airwinger, Congratulations! They are going to tell you to wear a suit to OCC. Don't do it. You'll be wearing that suit for three days. Wear something casual that can be thrown away. I threw away my suit because it was ruined. Nothing like being thrashed in civies. Bring all your bootcamp tricks. Your going to need them. Bring a spit shined set of combat boots for you rack display especially for Junk on the Bunk inspections. This will save you time with the BS and give you more time to study. I highly recommend that you bring some type of light that you can strap to your grape to maintain your hands free so that you can study during lights out. I had a "spelunkers light" or a "miners light" whatever you want to call it. It strapped to my brainhousing group and I was able to work in the dark with it. Very, very handy. Good luck. Remember, a real man goes to OCS with a pony tail and a beard. It will probably the last time you get the opportunity to wear either so go ahead, stand out! Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Raptor2216

Hey Frumby, you should be the official motivational speaker of earth man. Every time I read your posts, I almost see myself doing the run in under 18 mins, lol.

I'll be on this website too when i'm an ex-military pilot helping out the next generation of pilots, so I just wanted to say thanks for the help and motivation. By the way, i'm at 8 pull-ups now, just did a 2 mile run in 14:20 and I can do about 70 sit-ups now in 2 mins. So theres a little update.

Have a good x-mas and a happy new yeary everyone.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Keep it up Raptor. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress. For anyone going to PLC in June, I'll probably see you at graduation in July. My cousin will be going to PLC seniors this June so I intend to attend his graduation in July. That is, if I'm still in the country. You see and the prior enlisted hard chargers can attest to this, you are never ex-military. It appears that I'm going to be active duty here shortly but we'll see. I've heard that multiple times since 9/11. I will keep all informed. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
thanx for the insight on OCS. I just sent in my rough draft application to my OSO. Im kinda nervous. I still have to go down to MEPS and pass. I THINK I might have to take the ASVAB. I didn't get 1000 on the SATs (i don't test well). I bought the Barron's book on the ASVAB and In like, math, science, english and that stuff i did pretty good like 80% but when it came to electronics, auto, and mechanics i scored like 20 - 60%. so i'm nervous about that. I just got a 4.0 last semester :) and my cum. is 3.02 so i hope all goes well. when I wrote my 100 word essay (that was hard, only 100 words why you wanna be an Officer of Marines) I wrote "Officer of Marines" should the "O" in officer be capitalized or should it have been "officer of Marines" cause i know they check for grammer and spelling.

I was glad to hear that once you qualify you are qualified and they will roll your app. to the next class (gives me a better shot)

- ductus exemplo

Status
Not open for further replies.