• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Pilot VS Navy Pilot

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
I'm currently applying for OCS as a pilot applicant for both the Navy and the Marine Corps and have three questions regarding my applications:

1) For my Marines application, I currently have a 266 PFT score and my recruiter seems confident that I can be accepted with my PFT score since the Corps is taking in more pilots now that in the past. In May I am graduating Johns Hopkins with a degree in biomedical engineering, 3.7 GPA and 70 8/7/8 ASTB scores. Am I competitive as I stand or do I really need to get my PFT in the 280s to have a chance at being accepted as a pilot in the Corps?

2) My Navy SNA application has been submitted to the OCS board convening on 2/6. However, the board for my Marines application doesn't convene until March. With this timeline will I have time to see my results from the Marines before accepting Navy? Marines has previously been my first choice since I do my flight physical before OCS. My flight physical is scheduled for February 5th. I do realize I could just go with Navy after doing my flight physical at NAMI with the Marines since I'll already have results on paper with no prior commitments.

3) What are the key differences in lifestyle and careers between a Navy pilot and Marines pilot? Disregarding the obvious things, such as having to go to TBS as a Marine and being on a boat in the Navy. I want to hear the deep dark (or light) truths I can't always find researching on the internet. I've heard that you get to fly longer in the Navy than in the Marine Corps. An Admiral in the Navy told me that he still has competitions landing jets on carriers with other pilots, whereas an Air Force officer told me Marines only fly up to O-5 in rank. On a secondary note, does Marines or Navy give you better quality of life and chances to spend time with family?

I realize this is actually four questions, but I appreciate any advice and info you can give me. Thank you for your help!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm currently applying for OCS as a pilot applicant for both the Navy and the Marine Corps and have three questions regarding my applications:

1) For my Marines application, I currently have a 266 PFT score and my recruiter seems confident that I can be accepted with my PFT score since the Corps is taking in more pilots now that in the past. In May I am graduating Johns Hopkins with a degree in biomedical engineering, 3.7 GPA and 70 8/7/8 ASTB scores. Am I competitive as I stand or do I really need to get my PFT in the 280s to have a chance at being accepted as a pilot in the Corps?

2) My Navy SNA application has been submitted to the OCS board convening on 2/6. However, the board for my Marines application doesn't convene until March. With this timeline will I have time to see my results from the Marines before accepting Navy? Marines has previously been my first choice since I do my flight physical before OCS. My flight physical is scheduled for February 5th. I do realize I could just go with Navy after doing my flight physical at NAMI with the Marines since I'll already have results on paper with no prior commitments.

3) What are the key differences in lifestyle and careers between a Navy pilot and Marines pilot? Disregarding the obvious things, such as having to go to TBS as a Marine and being on a boat in the Navy. I want to hear the deep dark (or light) truths I can't always find researching on the internet. I've heard that you get to fly longer in the Navy than in the Marine Corps. An Admiral in the Navy told me that he still has competitions landing jets on carriers with other pilots, whereas an Air Force officer told me Marines only fly up to O-5 in rank. On a secondary note, does Marines or Navy give you better quality of life and chances to spend time with family?

I realize this is actually four questions, but I appreciate any advice and info you can give me. Thank you for your help!

1. Ask. Did you ask your OR/OSO these questions?
2. Search. These questions have been asked before here.

usmcecho4

pilot
1. Never know until you apply. Higher PFT is always better. Back in '01 I was selected with a 225 and a 3.0 so there's some data points for reference.

2. Dunno.

3. If you want to fly go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to go airlines in the future go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want quality of life go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to spend time with your family go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines.

S/F,
usmcecho4

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
13. If you want to fly go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to go airlines in the future go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want quality of life go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to spend time with your family go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines.

I am sensing a theme here....

Sonog

pilot
Unless you're really, really, really into the Marines...I would go with the first one that gives you a slot. Don't know too many Marine or Navy pilots who wish they were in the other service. Everyone loves what they do.

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
Thanks for all of your advice, this helps a lot. Your messages are making me lean more Navy. My only fear is going through OCS and failing my flight physical. Marines is more of a guarantee since the flight physical is before any commitment.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Except that after TBS when you check into Pensacola, one of the first things they are going to do is give you a flight physical. That one can knock you out of flight training too. If it does, you're still a Marine on active duty doing something other that flying. You're taking the same bet with both the Navy and Marines, you just find out if you won or not at different times.

There are no guarantees.

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
My flight physical at NAMI is scheduled for February 5th. Do I have to take a second flight physical after TBS? My OSO made it sound like I'm guaranteed to fly with Marines since I'm qualified at NAMI before going to OCS. Honest question, I just want to make sure I have all of the correct info before making my decision.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I can't tell you currently, but "back when" everyone took a flight physical right before they started starting training.

A flight physical is needed every year. By the time you commission, attend TBS and get to Pensacola a year will have passed. It is easy for you to be NPQed and it is much more likely not to get a waiver prior to winging. The Docs don't care if you're Navy or Marine when deciding on NPQ and waivers.

I'm just saying don't make your choice based on when you get your fight physical because it doesn't really matter. Make your choice based on what service you want, etc. If you don't care if it is Navy or Marines, then take whoever offers you a slot.

If you go Navy and get NPQed at the physical prior to commissioning, you have the choice of walking away or redesignating.

If you go Marines and get NPQed after TBS, you're still a Marine who might not have a choice.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
3. If you want to fly go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to go airlines in the future go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want quality of life go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines. If you want to spend time with your family go Navy. If you want to be a Marine Officer go Marines.

In the Marine Corps, air is just a very small portion of the overall organization. It is treated as such.

If I could go back, as a Hornet pilot, I'd go Navy.

mshaff12

Pro Rec - SNA
Thanks for your responses. My Navy recruiter says that once I start OCS, I can no longer walk away even before I receive my commission. Is this correct information? I find it strange that I would owe the military service that early on when I received no financial support for my college education. My Navy recruiter is also not giving me a clear answer as to whether my flight physical is before or after I receive my commission. She's really hard to get info from, whereas my OSO for the Marines has been really helpful.

Last edited:

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Thanks for your responses. My Navy recruiter says that once I start OCS, I can no longer walk away even before I receive my commission. Is this correct information? I find it strange that I would owe the military service that early on when I received no financial support for my college education. My Navy recruiter is also not giving me a clear answer as to whether my flight physical is before or after I receive my commission. She's really hard to get info from, whereas my OSO for the Marines has been really helpful.

For Navy, you will have a flight physical at OCS in Newport, RI. Then you will have another flight physical when you get down to Pensacola.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You can walk away until you commission. You will get another flight physical, but if you passed your first one it's obviously unlikely that you'll fail the next one.