• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Prowlers vs. Hornets & anthro measurements

zlerner

USMC SNFO
Hi all,

I'm just about to finish NFO Intermediate & check into VT-86. I've heard rumors that most Marines are getting Prowlers unless they're anthro'd out of them, in which case they get F/A-18D's. Can anyone in VT-86 (or beyond) conform that? Is performance or preference taken into account at all, or is it just based on the anthro measurements? I'd honestly be happy with either aircraft -- just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would venture a guess that "most" Marine SNFOs get Prowlers because most NFOs in the Marine Corps are in the Prowler community. 3 FOs per plane across four squadrons vice 1 FO per F/A-18D across I believe 4 squadrons. And it would stand to reason that if they are anthro'd out of Prowlers, they'd get Hornets, seeing as those are the only two FO-able aircraft the USMC flies.

Assignment to anything in the Marine Corps is based on the following criteria:
NEEDS OF THE MARINE CORPS
Your performance/suitability
Your wishes

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Assignment to anything in the Marine Corps is based on the following criteria:
NEEDS OF THE MARINE CORPS
If squeeze were a Navy SWO, he'd be a happy SWO.

Crowbar

None
squeeze said:
I would venture a guess that "most" Marine SNFOs get Prowlers because most NFOs in the Marine Corps are in the Prowler community. 3 FOs per plane across four squadrons vice 1 FO per F/A-18D across I believe 4 squadrons.

There are more than 4 VMFA(AW)s out there. I think there are three on each coast. Plus, the Delta squadrons have 12 a/c vice 5 for each Prowler squadron. Anyway, per the AVPLAN, for FY06, we're supposed to produce 20 each ECMOs and WSOs. For FY07 that goes down to 16 ECMOs and 20 WSOs. That's the plan anyway.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I would venture a guess that it's impossible to predict from one week to the next. I've gone to selections where zero Marines get Prowlers and I've gone to selections where the vast majority get Delta-Hornets. But the idea that "you get Hornets because you're anthro'd out of Prowlers" is a stickmonkey myth. The pilot side has one jet syllabus. VT-86 is its own animal.

You don't have the NSS, they won't let you go Strike/Fighter. I'm 5'8" and was anthro'd out of Prowlers... they laughed at that sh!t. Unless you're some basketball circus freak who is way the hell out of anthros, you WILL get your a$$ remeasured until it works. The simple fact is that they need you to get your wings, and if you struggle through Strike Core, they're not about to send you through a few extra months of Strike/Fighter syllabus that risks you attriting altogether...

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
I've seen Marines who are not anthro'd get Prowlers. I've seen them get Hornets. I know a guy who had himself remeasured because he WANTED Prowlers. But if you're anthro'd (like I am), you go Hornets.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
jbelsha53 said:
But if you're anthro'd (like I am), you go Hornets.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that one... well, I'd have a lot of money from a lot of Prowler ECMOs ;)

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
Note that I'm talking legitimately anthro'd...like 2 inches or more out of regs. Not someone who's hovering around the mark and fell on one side or the other by chance.