• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine TACAIR

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Hey everyone. I'm currently a Navy Option MIDN, but have not ruled out PLC as an option, because they are hand out pilot contracts like candy. Anyway, can anybody tell what Marine TACAIR is like in the sense of what their overall mission is? Is it primarily CAS mssions, or do they also train for air-to-air? How does their mission compare or differ from the Navy and Air Force fighter communities? I appreciate any feedbakc you may have.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The only reason you should be going to PLC is because you want to be a Marine Officer...

Becoming a Marine because they "are hand (sic) out pilot contracts like candy" is the wrong answer and will lead YOU to a lot of grief.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
The best advice I ever got in this department was from a Major when I was having a hard time deciding which community I wanted to be a part of. He basically said it's all about culture fit. Whether Navy or Marine, you are incurring a long obligation, so you'd better go where you fit in the best. For me, that meant the Marine Corps, and I've been glad I made that decision ever since. A roommate of mine joined the Marine Corps and he's hated life ever since. Think about what you like, who you like, and what you want to be like.

Part of the downside of the flood of aviation contracts that were awarded is that we seem to be having problems in API. For at least the past few classes, its been the Marines by and large who've been getting into academic trouble. That leads me to believe that if you are relying on different/more lenient standards to get into aviation, you might find yourself in trouble later on.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Shakey-

Great advice from HueyCobra....go Marine if you want to be a Marine....period, dot! Keep in mind, not everyone who actually signs up for an aviation contract actually gets to execute that contract (there's lots of factors that can lead you down another path). Example was my college roomie who had a Marine contract, got to P-cola, NPQ'd for vision, ended up in Artillery.

Now to your question. Marine TACAIR is really broken down into two separate communities (Hornet "A+/C" or Hornet "D"/Harrier). If you get Hornets "A+/C" you will more than likely follow more of a Navy track (re: lots of time on the boat). If you get Hornet "D" or Harrier, you will be much more closely tied to the Marines on the ground (re: more time spent in tents).

Either way, Navy or Marine Air is definitely a career that very few people ever regret. It is simply a lot of fun and allows you to work with some of the greatest people you'll ever know.

My two cents......

BIGMAC

What do you guys mean when you say, "you want to be a marine first"?

What if you don't know which you want to be? Thanks in advance!

riley

my opinion to BigMac,

take this with a grain of salt, as I've been a Marine a grand total of 1 1/2 years. My answer to you is like an answer someone gets when they ask the question, "How do you know she was the one to marry" The answer is, "You know when you know." I always thought that was a bs answer until I experienced it myself.

The same way with the military. My initial experience was with the air force, all my friends I knew in the military were air force and we had an air force ROTC at school. When I talked to the recruiter, he said you have to want to be an air force officer first, pilot second. I thought to myself, I just want to fly, so if you want to hear me say that crap, ok.

When I talked to the Marine recruiter, he said that you have to want to be a Marine first, pilot second. I actually believed this guy. He lived what he preached. At first my initial thoughts were exactly like my response to the air force recruiter, but after spending more time around Marines, I saw something different. I began to believe it myself. The reason I joined the Marine Corps is I wanted to be a Marine more than a pilot, and that was the first time that happened.

Now, the other services are good in there own right, you can just tell there is something different about the Marine Corps. You can call me idealistic, that I haven't been exposed to the bad parts of the Corps yet, and you'd probably be right. But, my advice to you is spend time with the services. See how they interact with each other and amongst themselves. Seek out people that have served and talk with them, find out their honest opinions. You'll soon get a clear picture of the cultures of each and which one you want to be a part of. Then you'll answer, "I knew when I knew."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Shakey said:
Hey everyone. I'm currently a Navy Option MIDN, but have not ruled out PLC as an option, because they are hand out pilot contracts like candy. Anyway, can anybody tell what Marine TACAIR is like in the sense of what their overall mission is? Is it primarily CAS mssions, or do they also train for air-to-air? How does their mission compare or differ from the Navy and Air Force fighter communities? I appreciate any feedbakc you may have.

Why so focused on fighter the fighter community. Odds are, if you go Marine, you will be flying helo's (actually odds are you will fly helo's in either service). So the better question would be what the Marine helo missions is, as compared to the Navy.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Sir, no disrespect to the other communities, but fighters is what I want and plan to get. Maybe I watched TOPGUN too much as a kid, but I want it real bad. On the other hand, I'll be more than thrilled just to earn my wings, let alone my commision. Whatever I fly, I'll won't regret for a minute what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

Thanks again for all your feedback. I've wanted to be a Naval officer since I was a kid. In the mean time, I'm just trying to do well in college, earn my commision, and consider whether or not I should go Marine. I appreciate the help, everyone.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Shakey said:
fighters is what I want and plan to get.

Actually, its what you want and HOPE to get. There is nothing that you can do, especially at this stage in the game, to "get" fighters. Yeah, I know - it was a big dissapointment for me too a few years ago when I found out. Get over it and worry more about what you want to do with your life as far as branch of service goes.

Prashant Patel

Code:
Sir, no disrespect to the other communities, but fighters is what I want and plan to get. Maybe I watched TOPGUN too much as a kid, but I want it real bad. On the other hand, I'll be more than thrilled just to earn my wings, let alone my commision. Whatever I fly, I'll won't regret for a minute what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

Hahahaha, well at least you have the right attitude. I was hell-bent on jets since I was 8, until I got to primary. While I still wouldn't have minded being a jet guy, I didn't really fit in with the guys that are going jets nowadays. I went helos instead and its turned out to be great. But hey, maybe jets will be for you. Just remember it all comes down to what the Marines need the week you select.
Also, I hope you have a decent amount of prior civilian flight time. Those guys have a better chance of getting jets.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Shakey...
Shakey said:
but fighters is what I want and plan to get
Two (and a half) questions for you:

1. Have you had your pre-commissioning physical yet?

2. If not, will you be ok with going SWO or Nuke or anything other than aviation (Or being a ground-pounder if you go USMC) if, God forbid, you are mediaclly DQ'ed?

Look at it this way... at my initial service selection, I selected SWO. I wasn't too happy about not going aviation, but I also knew it wasn't the end of the world and made up my mind to preform my duties as a SWO the best I could. Could you make that decision if you got DQ'ed from aviation?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Shakey said:

Thanks again for all your feedback. I've wanted to be a Naval officer since I was a kid. In the mean time, I'm just trying to do well in college, earn my commision, and consider whether or not I should go Marine. I appreciate the help, everyone.

Oh believe me, I knew what you wanted. I like your attitude, very goal oriented. You've got to have goals, it helps you focus and get through the tough times. Just remember, the Navy's needs vs your goals means the Navy wins out every time. It's a reality check to keep any young buck from being sorely dissappointed if they don't get what he or she ultimately desires. Then again, you just might hit that goal. Good luck.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
If you really want and plan to get fighters, join the Marines as a FO... at least then you're guaranteed jets ;)

But plan on getting helos...