• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines decide they dont like the Aussies too much.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
DARWIN, Australia (Aug. 12) - A U.S. Marine Corps fighter jet dropped a bomb and damaged a building in an accident at a remote military range in northern Australia, the government said Friday.

The bomb, dropped by an F/A-18 Hornet, exploded near a control tower and damaged facilities at the Delamere Air Weapons Range in the Northern Territory on Wednesday, Australia's Defense Department said. No one was injured and no details were released on the extent of the damage.

Defense Minister Robert Hill said the mishap was under investigation by both Australian and American authorities.

"We certainly regard it as a serious incident," Hill told reporters in the northern city of Darwin.

Bombing exercises have ceased at the weapons range, some 80 miles south of the town of Katherine.

"Things like this will always happen; we hope not very frequently and we hope not any more dangerously," Prime Minister John Howard told Melbourne Radio 3AW. "But the idea that you can conduct any kind of military exercise without some kind of potential for mishap is unrealistic."

The U.S. Marine contingent, which is based in Japan, was conducting an annual training exercise called Southern Frontier that involves 500 troops, 15 F/A-18 Hornets and two KC-130 Hercules aircraft.

The U.S. Marine Corps said the ordnance was a 500 pound laser-guided bomb, Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050812165709990019

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It just takes one A-hole to ruin it for everybody else.

Brett

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Future Herc Driver said:
"Things like this will always happen; we hope not very frequently and we hope not any more dangerously," Prime Minister John Howard told Melbourne Radio 3AW. "But the idea that you can conduct any kind of military exercise without some kind of potential for mishap is unrealistic."

Love this response. Very like the Aussies. Not at all like the Puerto Ricans.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Not sure an AF guy has any room to pick on another service for innacurate bombing.
Yeah, I seem to remember a couple of "coked up"(I swear, sir, the go-pills made me do it) AF guys "rolling in to lay down some 20 mike mike" on some Canadian ground pounders. I do like Howard's attitude though.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Yeah, I seem to remember a couple of "coked up"(I swear, sir, the go-pills made me do it) AF guys "rolling in to lay down some 20 mike mike" on some Canadian ground pounders. I do like Howard's attitude though.

Brett

...or an A-10 section strafing the hell out of an AAV column killing 18 Marines

Zoomies seem to have a knack for blue-on-blue... maybe that's what they're getting at with the "cross into the blue" slogan.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
It definitely cannot be denied that the Aussies are the friendliest of any of our allies. Thier attitudes are simply amazing at times, nearly always happy it seems.
Yeah, that, plus hot chicks - hard to go wrong there. I think they just have that kind of western "cowboy" attitude that the US does - the one that pisses everybody else off. :D

Brett