• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Market Time P-2 Ops

Flugelman

Contributor
Out-Frickin'-Standing!!! Only thing better would have been a bottle of Painted Label San Magoo to drink while watching...:D

Great find, thanks for posting that.

The M-60 in the afterstation always worried me a little as some of the ordies got a little too excited... (could have put one or 10 in the tail.) :eek:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Out-Frickin'-Standing!!! Only thing better would have been a bottle of Painted Label San Magoo to drink while watching...:D

Great find, thanks for posting that.

The M-60 in the afterstation always worried me a little as some of the ordies got a little too excited... (could have put one or 10 in the tail.) :eek:

(a) Or, if you hadn't been to Cubi Pt. lately, a bottle of Bami-Bah (33) - the Vietnamese lager of gentlemen!

(b) It was the NFO's & pilots packing heat around the O Club & flightline that scared me more!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Awesome, my old man was an old school P-2 driver. I'll pass it along to him, thanks for the link!

Flugelman

Contributor
(a) Or, if you hadn't been to Cubi Pt. lately, a bottle of Bami-Bah (33) - the Vietnamese lager of gentlemen!

(b) It was the NFO's & pilots packing heat around the O Club & flightline that scared me more!

They were ALWAYS sober, right???

We hauled cases of San Miguel from Sangley to Cam Ranh. If one of those repo flights had to ditch, the AE in the nose would have died, because the passageway (tunnel) out of the nose was too full of beer to get by.:eek:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My JO tour, I took a crew to Adelaide, Australia for what was supposed to be a 1 week exercise. We took about 100 DICASS buoys from Diego with us because there weren't any in Adelaide but there were plenty of DIFAR.

First flight we had a chips light and spent the next 2 weeks on the ground waiting for an engine to be flown in from the States (Aussies only had 1 RFI and did not want to part with it). After the engine change, we flew to Perth to overnight on the way back to Dodge. Enroute, we had a prop leak. Back then (1988), props were hard to get so we spent another 2 weeks in Perth waining for a prop to be flown in from the States.

Finally we are ready to go back to Dodge. We had so much beer on board we were well over max weight. The FE says to me "The 100 DICASS or the beer, not both". I choose the beer. I figured the supply geeks could transfer the DICASS to the Aussies and Aussies would cum in their pants to get them. (I was the squadron sonobuoy officer).

We get back to Dodge and the Skipper comes out to greet the crew that just managed to spend 1/6th of the deployment fucking around in Australia without ever flying any missions or doing any work at all. He comes on the plane, there are beer cases stacked in every bit of empty space and says "Holy shit, I've never seen so much f'ing beer!.....Wait a G..D..minute...WHERE ARE THE DICASS BUOYS?" "Skipper, did I tell you we brought 5 cases of beer for you and 5 for the XO?" "You did? AWESOME!....just make sure the paperwork to transfer the buoys gets done ASAP......"

The moral of the story...Beer bribes work great.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
My JO tour, I took a crew to Adelaide, Australia for what was supposed to be a 1 week exercise. We took about 100 DICASS buoys from Diego with us because there weren't any in Adelaide but there were plenty of DIFAR.

First flight we had a chips light and spent the next 2 weeks on the ground waiting for an engine to be flown in from the States (Aussies only had 1 RFI and did not want to part with it). After the engine change, we flew to Perth to overnight on the way back to Dodge. Enroute, we had a prop leak. Back then (1988), props were hard to get so we spent another 2 weeks in Perth waining for a prop to be flown in from the States.

Finally we are ready to go back to Dodge. We had so much beer on board we were well over max weight. The FE says to me "The 100 DICASS or the beer, not both". I choose the beer. I figured the supply geeks could transfer the DICASS to the Aussies and Aussies would cum in their pants to get them. (I was the squadron sonobuoy officer).

We get back to Dodge and the Skipper comes out to greet the crew that just managed to spend 1/6th of the deployment fucking around in Australia without ever flying any missions or doing any work at all. He comes on the plane, there are beer cases stacked in every bit of empty space and says "Holy shit, I've never seen so much f'ing beer!.....Wait a G..D..minute...WHERE ARE THE DICASS BUOYS?" "Skipper, did I tell you we brought 5 cases of beer for you and 5 for the XO?" "You did? AWESOME!....just make sure the paperwork to transfer the buoys gets done ASAP......"

The moral of the story...Beer bribes work great.

Awesome...

I actually spent 30 days in Perth, (RAAF Pearce) on a prop leak as well, 3 years ago.
Propstop can back me up on this....I think he may have been part of the "Rescue" crew to meet us in Elmendorf!

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Awesome...

I actually spent 30 days in Perth, (RAAF Pearce) on a prop leak as well, 3 years ago.

Every Navy a/c that has ever gone into Perth has gone AOCP for something that kept them there at least a week longer than scheduled. Sort of a Bermuda Triangle thing, or something.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GREAT STUFF!!! Thanks, Mumbles ... the P-2 was a great airplane and it straddled a GREAT time to be in the NAVY and in NAVAIR, too ... :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
[/i]

Every Navy a/c that has ever gone into Perth has gone AOCP for something that kept them there at least a week longer than scheduled. Sort of a Bermuda Triangle thing, or something.

I've heard that tits and good beer break planes... truth?

H60Gunner

Contributor
On a repo from Barbers to Kadena we had a "fuel problem" and had to land in Guam. FE was a native and his family took very good care of the entire crew.

Love the footage mumbles. Did not know that P-2's carried M-60's in the door.

Flugelman

Contributor
Did not know that P-2's carried M-60's in the door.

Not nitpickin but they were actually mounted in the port afterstation window. They put a bracket in the bottom middle of the window that would accept the standard pintle mount. The mount in the picture looks much more substantial than the ones in our planes. Never heard of one being fired in anger but they would put a smoke marker in the water and try to hit it. VERY hard to do,,,