• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MARSOC anyone?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After years of debate, USMC has decided to embrace the notion of having a dedicated Special Operations component under SOCOM (similar to Army's USASOC, USAF AFSOC and Navy's NSW). Prior to that, USMC trained its MEUs to be Special Operations Capable (SOC) prior to deployment, but did not maintain a CONUS command reporting to SOCOM at Tampa. That has changed with establishment of Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC)in Feb 2006 of MARSOC headquarters at Camp Lejeune and there is a Marine Aviation presence involved (staff level) for those who want to get into the game.

The MARSOC Mission
U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command,
as the US Marine Corps component of USSOCOM, trains, organizes, equips and, when directed by the Commander, USSOCOM, deploys task organized, scaleable, and responsive U.S. Marine Corps special operations forces worldwide in support of combatant commanders and other agencies.

Two Marine Special Operations Battalions (MSOB), one on each coast, will be organized, trained, and equipped to deploy for worldwide missions as directed by MARSOC. Each MSOB will consist of several Marine Special Operations Companies and be task-organized with personnel uniquely skilled in special equipment support, intelligence and fire-support.

As a major command, MARSOC will report directly to the Commandant of the Marine Corps for service matters and will be under the operational control of USSOCOM.

plc67

pilot
I turn 60 in 2008 and will thus have to leave the cockpit. I will thus be available and I think a tour in MARSOC would be good for both of us.(I still run well over 30 miles a week, but not quite at the same pace I did as a young lieutenant.) I don't think self delusion and early senility should be a show stopper for me; it does not seem to be a factor in my current job.