• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math question

Super Hornet 88

Can I still go ahead and submit my app. even though I tested into Algebra 2 for my fall semester of college as a freshmen?

Any help is appreciated.

Daniel

Super Hornet 88

Sorry guys, I was eating pizza and writing at the same time. Basically I'm saying, am I screwed because I'm in Algebra 2 when applying for the scholarship?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Sorry guys, I was eating pizza and writing at the same time. Basically I'm saying, am I screwed because I'm in Algebra 2 when applying for the scholarship?

Yes.

Ok, ok, just kidding. I know very little about NROTC, but from a common sense standpoint, I seriously doubt it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This tells me you still need to take Trig/Precalc, and Calc....all before you are ready to take Calc based physics. I'd say the odds are against you my friend

wyldechild

well it depends are you going navy or marines? navy you need calc. while on the other hand marines don't need it. as long as you do good on the astb

GMan1976

Banned
Navy actually requires not only Calc 1 AND Calc 2... but also Calc-based Physics 1 (sometimes called University Physics or Engineering Physics, NOT General Physics) AND Calc-based Physics 2.

I'd say you better be ready for lots of summer school... I did all four classes over my Jr and Senior years with summer in between... so it IS possible...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
nrotc wants you to be done with two semesters of calcululs by the end of your sophmore year, and done with two semesters of physics by your junior year. So if your along that track good, above it and your competitive.

GMan1976

Banned
nrotc wants you to be done with two semesters of calcululs by the end of your sophmore year, and done with two semesters of physics by your junior year. So if your along that track good, above it and your competitive.

yeah, that makes sense... i was a prior so the nrotc rules for me were different.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can I still go ahead and submit my app. even though I tested into Algebra 2 for my fall semester of college as a freshmen?

Any help is appreciated.

Daniel
To answer your question, go ahead and submit the app. If you don't apply, you can't get selected. However, understand that NROTC will be able to choose most, if not all, their folks as selectees who are ready to enter calculus their freshman year. This isn't to say that you are doomed (as maybe my earlier post implied). It just means you may not be competitive for a 4 year scholarship. You could definitely be ready to take Calc I by the beginning of your sophomore year. This is what you could do:

Freshman: Fall - College Algebra
Spring - Trig/Pre-calc
Summer - Calc I

Sophomore: Fall - Calc II; Calc based phsyics I
Spring - Calc based physics II

Junior: pick up scholarship

Super Hornet 88

To answer your question, go ahead and submit the app. If you don't apply, you can't get selected. However, understand that NROTC will be able to choose most, if not all, their folks as selectees who are ready to enter calculus their freshman year. This isn't to say that you are doomed (as maybe my earlier post implied). It just means you may not be competitive for a 4 year scholarship. You could definitely be ready to take Calc I by the beginning of your sophomore year. This is what you could do:

Freshman: Fall - College Algebra
Spring - Trig/Pre-calc
Summer - Calc I

Sophomore: Fall - Calc II; Calc based phsyics I
Spring - Calc based physics II

Junior: pick up scholarship

OK, thanks for the help Steve. This really helped me out a lot.:)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes.

Ok, ok, just kidding. I know very little about NROTC, but from a common sense standpoint, I seriously doubt it.

Oops, when you said you tested into Algebra II, I thought that meant something good. Now that I understand, I agree (obviously) with everyone else. Sorry to steer you in the wrong direction.