• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maximum age to be a pilot? Prior service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

F18sPlease

What is the maximum age that one can graduate at in NROTC in order to be a pilot? Does being prior service give one extra time when applying for a pilot slot? Thanks.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
The max age has been 27, at least since I've been in (5+ years) Each year of prior mil service will get you a year of waiver, pretty much automatically, as long as you qualify medically, etc. I believe the one year for one year waiver is good up to age 31. After that, if you still have more qualifying service time, I believe you can request an additional waiver. My squadron currently has two prior Navy E-6's and several prior E-5's. I know one of them had a total of 14 years service, which makes him about 32. Good luck.

Jeff29

Science Project
The actual policy (at least a couple years ago) is commissioned by 27 with a month-for-month waiver for prior service (up to 48 months). I know there have been exceptions, but in the current climate, that may be hard to come by.

To become a FO, it's 29 with the same waiver criteria.

Jeff29

Science Project
F18sPlease said:
29 to be a pilot. Thanks for the info.
No.
27 to be a pilot, 29 to be an NFO (with either you can get a waiver for an additional 48 months based on prior service).

F18sPlease

Really? So if I have 48 months of prior service I can still apply to be a pilot at the age of 31? I know they have the month for month deal, I just figured they might cap it before 48 months for pilots. I hope not.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff29

Science Project
The 48 months of prior service must have been completed before your 27th birthday, and you must be commissioned before your 31st birthday. At least this is how it was a few years ago.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
The 48 months of prior service must have been completed before your 27th birthday, and you must be commissioned before your 31st birthday. At least this is how it was a few years ago.

It's still the same. I will (assuming everything goes fine through STA-21) be commissioned and head to flight school when I am slightly over 30. I will have about 9 months to spare with the age.

F18sPlease

That is awesome!!!

I have not talked to any NROTC offices yet, and I am just wondering how one gets selected for pilot. Do you join ROTC, then apply to a board? Can you get a guarantee pilot?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Join ROTC, put in service selection fall of senior year, and wait to get results back around christmas. Unfortunately no garunteeed NROTC pilot slots. Appearently there is some way to get one through STA-21 and BDCP though- Im sure someone here knows the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.