• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May Grads going to flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmizzou

pilot
I'm new to the board, so I apologize if the topic has been covered before, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm a 1/c at University of Missouri and I found out over break that I was accepted to flight school. I was just curious if anyone had word on prospective report dates to Pensacola. I kind of need to have idea if I'll be stashed unitil the fall or not for housing reasons here. If anyone has any info let me know. Thanks

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
you should be able to find out more info from you chain of command. as for report dates, get ready for a long wait. things are so backed up in pensacola that you could be stashed at your school for a while before you can even come down. if you need a place to live once you get down to pensacola, check out fairfield lakes or austin wood appartments. both are pretty reasonably priced, close to the base and relatively new. (within the last 5 years)

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Here's the deal:
Go ahead and sign a new lease. Your first set of PCS orders will get you out of ANY lease, anywhere. As per the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act the INITIAL PCS orders are all you have to show, and your landlord is required to let you out of your lease (if you read the fine print you have to give them 30 days notice, that shouldn't be an issue). The landlord cannot hold that against you, and has to give back your security deposit and let you out of your lease without prejudice. If you feel they have withheld any money you deserve, you can take them to court.

Read here:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/sscra/l/blsscra.htm

Also, remember to take your first set of PCS orders (maybe even oath of office paperwork) and go to your credit card companies. They will lower your interest rate on all cards (and loans for that matter) you have to no higher than 6%, yes, 6%. Just tell them you want to sign up for the soldiers and sailors act. There is a caveat. It only affects cards you had BEFORE you got commissioned. Cards you get afterwards are not going to give you the SSCRA deal.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
ENSsquid said:
Also, remember to take your first set of PCS orders (maybe even oath of office paperwork) and go to your credit card companies. They will lower your interest rate on all cards (and loans for that matter) you have to no higher than 6%, yes, 6%. Just tell them you want to sign up for the soldiers and sailors act.

Does this work for student loans too? Please say yes please say yes please say yes. No, huh?

snizo

Supply Officer
The 6% is only if going on active duty has caused you to have financial difficulty in paying back debt that was incurred before you came to active duty. I am guessing that this applies more for enlisted guys since fresh officers get paid pretty decently.

From the about.com link above:

If a service member’s military obligation has affected his/her ability to pay on financial obligations such as credit cards, loans, mortgages, etc., the service member can have his/her interest rate capped at 6% for the duration of the service member’s military obligation.

Qualifying debts are debts that were incurred prior to the service member coming on active duty. The service member must be on active duty at the time of the request, and the service member’s military career must have materially affected the service member’s ability to pay on the debt. This provision does not apply to federally guaranteed student loans.

I thought student loans were like 2-3% anyway right now?

(BTW - the creditor can take you to court if it believes that your career has not "materially affected the service member's ability to pay the debt")

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
The credit card companies DON'T care, if they see commissioning/enlistment orders, you get 6%. I got all mine knocked down to 6%. Oh, and on all of mine, the 6% stays in effect for new purchases too. One card isn't even CHARGING me interest or having me make a payment until I am out.

AND, it's RETROACTIVE. Meaning 6 mos later, you send them the paperwork, they make 6% effective when you joined and refund the difference in finance charges!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.