• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mayport helicopter crash

slabicro

Helo wife
I always hate seeing this type of thing! But wanted to share since many of us know folks there:

Jacksonville-based Navy helicopter crashes

By GREGORY PIATT, The Times-Union

A Jacksonville-based Navy helicopter crashed this morning in the Eastern Pacific Ocean while doing manuevers west of Colombia, the Navy said today.

The fate of the crew is unknown and the Navy was still searching for the pilots. Officials wouldn't release the name of the three aviators aboard until the next of kin were notified.

The aircraft is from Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light 48, which is based at Mayport Naval Station. The helicopter was flying from the USS DeWert, a guided missile frigate based at Mayport.

The helicopter was an SH-60B, which normally operates with a crew of three but can have as many as five, the Navy said.

The helicopter is the fourth Navy or Marine Corps aircraft to have a Jacksonville connection to crash since September.

Two pilots from Sea Control Squadron 32 died when their S-3B Viking jet crashed in a Jacksonville park in September. Later that month, three Naval aviators from Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light 44 died when their helicopter crashed in seas off the coast of North Carolina. The aviators were never found.

Last week, a Marine pilot was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard when his AV-8B Harrier crashed in coastal waters near St. Augustine. The aircraft, assigned to Marine Attack Training Squadron 203 in Cherry Point, N.C., was operating from Jacksonville Naval Air Station at the time of the crash.

Read more about the crash in tomorrow's Times-Union.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll have to put out the feelers with the mafia and see what I can learn. This is not meant as speculation, just info, but this is the standard profile for CD Ops out there. Wonder what happened.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the link. I got a little more info today, which is pretty much summed up by that artilcle. A guy here was from that squadron and knew the HAC and filled me in. A bad day for all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry, I don't remember the names. I really only know about two more sentences than what was in that article and the one and a half names I heard I didn't recognize, so I didn't retain them.

Indeed a sad day for all. Our new LT just came from 48 and I'm pretty sure he knew the crew. Plus that frigate is the same ship we our sending one of our Mids on next week for a Christmas break cruise. Small world, tragic too. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

--J

LAMPSwarrior

I know this is late but, I just became a member and figured I would answer some questions about the mishap. The names of the crew are as follows: Chris Snyder (HAC), Nick Juron (H2P), and John Kaye (AW). They all were very close friends of mine and were some off the finest aviators I have ever had the pleasure to serve with.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I knew Nick well enough... was in my company at USNA. Very sad when I heard about his passing.