• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ME-262 Flies Again

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Neat. How in the world do they manufacture things like parts for the engines? Kind of a rhetorical question, but it's still an impressive restoration.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Neat. How in the world do they manufacture things like parts for the engines? Kind of a rhetorical question, but it's still an impressive restoration.

It's a pain in the arse, but not impossible. If somebody could produce it in 1940, it can be re-produced today. The question is how much time and money do you want to spend. I spoke with a WWII vintage restorer in my hometown. He had a complete machine shop with every CNC gadget you could think of.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this is the project I think it is, I believe that due to FARs, other regs, or just ORM, they decided that the original Jumo engines were too cantankerous and replaced them with similar-sized motors.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
The two seat, reproduction ME-262 has been flying for a few years now and is based in Scottsdale. They used GE J-85's since the Jumo engines no longer exist.

I work in sales for a company that operates the only engine shop outside of GE which is capable of performing the solid spool rotor upgrade on the J-85, (we also operate a contract jet fuel program). The owner of N262AZ is one of our clients.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Some groups are building their own now like this guy.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/history/phase_1.htm

Must be really expensive but I'm sure an awesome flight

The stormbird group is the group that built the a/c in the video. It's the second a/c that they've finished, and they're working on 3/6.

their website is good stuff.

also, the jumo wasn't that great of an engine...historic, but not great. it had a life span of something like 10-12 hours due to the inability of german industry to produce the high grade metals needed for the turbine stage. plus, like most early jet engines it had problems with good throttle response...fast throttle movements usually resulted in compressor stalls.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wonder if anyone is working on a ME163, those things were pretty crazy.

And would be an awful idea to build...the fuel was highly corrosive and unstable. basically an early form of liquid rocket fuel...two different fuels are caried and mixed, which creates the thrust. the oxidizer used was Hydrogen Peroxide in a form that was so strong that it could dissolve ground crew and pilots if handled improperly.

that and leaving your wheels on the ground and landing on a skid...good times.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
that and leaving your wheels on the ground and landing on a skid...good times.

I thought that was par for the course in flight school for you helo guys. Oh, right, you had two. :icon_tong

Pags

N/A
pilot
I thought that was par for the course in flight school for you helo guys. Oh, right, you had two. :icon_tong

Touche. But I can hover the helo, then land it. As opposed to the one shot space shuttle landing every time...better hope you were good at HAPLs