• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Med vs. Pacific Cruise

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
In the thread Lemoore, Oceana or Miramar, someone touched upon the topic of Mediterranean cruises vs. Pacific cruises.

Based on experience, how does everyone think they size up?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
In the thread Lemoore, Oceana or Miramar, someone touched upon the topic of Mediterranean cruises vs. Pacific cruises.

Based on experience, how does everyone think they size up?

One word, Australia

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I did a Pac cruise--well, 1 month of it, as a Mid. I did 2 Med pumps. Preferred the Med. Libbo just as good, plus I really enjoyed Europe-I'm into the history and the atmosphere there. I'd stack Palma and Rome against anywhere as far as fun. However, the action has shifted from the Med (think former Yugoslavia late-90's to the Arabian Gulf post 9/11).

MasterBates

From what I have seen (MED/MEF and BALTOPS) and heard (WESTPAC), Med is more fun that you can tell your mom about.

Westpac is things that must be seen/experienced in person.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
From what I have seen (MED/MEF and BALTOPS) and heard (WESTPAC), Med is more fun that you can tell your mom about.

Westpac is things that must be seen/experienced in person.

Thailand are things you can't tell most people about, because unless they've been there they won't believe you

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Having made both, my thoughts are this:

Med: it will all depend on the port calls and the time of year.
Palma, Cannes, Nice in the summer is quite spectacular from an eyeball candy point of view. In the winter, pretty tame.
If you hit Naples, Palermo, Brindisi, or similar places, okay for history and sightseeing, or a side trip to Rome, but the fun factor is low.
The trains can get you a lot of neat places in a short amount of time, so seeing Europe the cheap way is pretty good.
Not sure if the boats are pulling into Haifa, Israel any longer, but that is a great port.
Workups may take you to the Caribbean, thought he shutdown of the Puerto Rican op area has probably minimized that.

Westpac: Almost all ports have something going for them: Kind of like "ports gone wild: the Navy edition."

Hawaii, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, Japan: there's something for everyone.

Unfortunately, there is no more Subic Bay/Cubi Point/Olangapo, nor can I think of a port call that rivals it (yes, even considering Thailand). Hpwever, the others offer plenty of exotic flavors that can't be described.

Here's an interesting thought. You can catch a flight to Europe and tour most countries on a Europass (train) pretty inexpensively and in a short amount of time. Touring the Westpac countries and ports will cost you a king's ransom if you were to try and do it over a 2-4 week period, so the Navy may indeed provide a travel opportunity you won't have available as a civilian.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Intruder Driver summed it up nicely, by and large. I too have done both: little water and big water, i.e., the Med & Pacific .... and I've been in most of the countries rimming each over the years.

The U.S. Navy's experienced most of it's modern history in the Pacific (opinion). The Pacific is the "Big Pond". If you want to see historic "Navy" places .... i.e., become the somewhat watered-down (no pun) modern day version of a "China Sailor" .... go to the Pacific.

Plus ... I prefer an Oriental/Asian (Asian=for you PC types) or Pacific Islander mindset to a European one. Any day, any way ..... :)

Color me Pacific Navy Blue ....

phrogpilot73

I've only experienced the Med. These are the ports that I hit:

First Deployment: Souda Bay, Crete; Valetta, Malta; Dubai, UAE (just the sandbox); Rota, Spain.

Third Deployment: Marseille, France; Civitivecchia, Italy (twice); Limassol, Cyprus; Dubai, UAE; Toulon, France.

Second deployment, I only hit Shannon, Ireland for 2 hours at the beginning and at the end of my trek to/from Iraq.

I really wish that the Med Floats of yesteryear were still around (i.e. never leave the Med) but I doubt those days will come back soon. I would love to do a Pacific float, and my wife and I have considered going to Japan once we get stationed in Hawaii. Can't really vote because I only know the Med.

Oh, and the cops in Civitivecchia are corrupt as hell...

airfrogusmc

Do you stop in Subic if your on a far east tour? That was our (HMM 165s) home port in 75-76. Honey co and a bottle of Sam Magoo don't get allot better than that.

Sydney is worth the price of admission for sure.

Thailand was not an option in the mid 70s. (to bad)

This is not really a vote. Only far east for me but I've seen pictures of med cruises, does that count?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Done both. Westpac is the best. Glad I was young and single in Cubi. It put a "smile" on my face. :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go West. Six deployments out there and never at a loss for "smiles" is all I can say.
Pun intended.