• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

medical advice

mikebara

I know this is an individual situation but I have been really worried about applying to Navy OCS because of a medical situation in my life. In 2005 I had some trouble with my roommate over a very difficult situation. I had just transferred to a new school and it was my junior year in college. I was very unsure of what to do but I went to a counselor at school to talk to someone for a 3rd party point of view. I wound up talking to the counselor for awhile and she somehow convinced me that I had anxiety and that I should take medication for it. At the time I thought it was a good idea but after about 3-4 months of taking the medication I realized how ridiculous this was and I quit the medication.

I was just posting this because I would like to know if this little situation is going to disqualify me from entering the Navy. The situation was very brief, I saw a counselor a couple times, took the medication for a very short period and then I just realized how stupid it was. If anyone knows what I should do I could really use the advice because this situation has made me question if the military is going to deny me. What should I do? Should I go to the counselor again to have her write a letter explaining the situation for MEPS or is this not a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think I'll flog this horse once more. The worst thing anyone can do to you is tell you no. You will never get what you want if you eliminate yourself from the running before you even get started.

Do your best to explain the situation as acurately and truthfully as possible. Your recruiter should be able to better answer those questions than most of us on here would.

P.S. and the last thing you ever want is real medical advice from any of us jokers.

jman92612

NavAir speaks words of wisdom....Go for it, do not let anything stop you! I was asking the same question last year, as I had the exact same problem, and made it through MEPS and my first flight physical.

So it is definately not an auto-DQ, but there are additional steps and the MEPS and flight docs have protocols with how to deal with this -- don't be scared of the docs, they want you to fly and kick **s. Private message me and I can tell you about my experience and how the Navy dealt with it and what I had to do for them to get through it. I also made it through with traumatic brain injury and a host of other ailments, so as long as they did not use up all the waiver forms on me then you'll be o.k. Also be honest about your psych issue and don't try to BS a Navy shrink.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Mike,

Don't let this issue stop you from applying. And, as jman92612 said, don't hide it.

If you feel comfortable, pm me with some particulars and I will let you know what I think will happen based on your particulars and the way I have known the system to work for the last 23 years or so. No guarantees other than honest advice.