• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical/Background check

DeeDub

Hello,

I am just going to get to the point. I was honorably discharged about 5 years ago after 4 years of service. (During my service time, I received a secret clearance.) Since then I graduated from college, took the ASTB, and was picked up for a couple officer programs. In the last two years I was treated for depression. I did not put it on the application or disclose it at MEPS. I have conquered the illness as part of the overall growing up cycle and do not think it was relevant anymore and it won't be an issue down the line. By the way, I know my opinion does not matter to the military so you need not include such a response to this.

Anyway, I just figured I would roll the dice and hope for the best regarding the background check. What I will acknowledge is that the prevailing thought on this topic in multiple blog sites has been that "they will find out". Maybe that's true, maybe it's not, but I did pick up the secret clearance AFTER a brief stint with depression while enlisted. With that in mind, I'm not sure about how the Doc alliterated it in the mecial record.

I'm certain the results of the background check will come back in the next couple of weeks so one way or another I'll find out my fate on this matter. There is no insurance/doctor/hospital data in my file and there were no other medical obstacles. What are the chances the background check comes back with no problem? Thank you for your response.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
My take on this is to answer all questions truthfully. It's not so much....'will they find out'....as it is.....'I value my integrity too much to piss it away'.

Were you prescribed meds for depression? Feel free to pm if desired.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, posting your dilemma on a public internet forum certainly doesn't help your chances of keeping it a secret.

DeeDub

I understand that in a forum such as this, that the information is public. The information was disclosed in order to achieve a certain degree of peace of mind by way of feedback from other posters such as yourself. I appreciate your help.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Disclose, disclose, disclose.

The adjudicator only cares about the complete history and resolution. Undisclosed items that an investigator finds out paint a poor picture of your integrity and trustworthiness. I have seen TS/SCI clearances approved for a variety of medical ailments relating to mental stability. All were disclosed with treatment information discussed/resolved. Don't let this be a big surprise.

And, BTW, for a secret clearance, there wasn't much digging going on beyond credit bureaus, national agencies, and (sometimes) local records. For higher clearances (which for the most part all officers will go through) you will be investigated much more thoroughly including interviews, medical record, and known associations. My two cents, from what you have mentioned, this is not an issue or impediment for you being cleared by an adjudicator. Just be frank and honest if asked, and disclose the initial condition, treatment and resolution.

BTW, good post. Nice to see clear, concise and well thought out questions around here. Best of luck to you. Post or PM if you have any other questions.

Merry Christmas!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand that in a forum such as this, that the information is public. The information was disclosed in order to achieve a certain degree of peace of mind by way of feedback from other posters such as yourself. I appreciate your help.

I'm not going to tell you that you did the right thing. You did the wrong thing and most likely broke the law doing it. You should disclose it.

All it takes is one phone call from someone or a little peeling of the onion and you're done.

No peace of mind from me....be worried about this.

navy09

None
By the way, I know my opinion does not matter to the military so you need not include such a response to this.

What I will acknowledge is that the prevailing thought on this topic in multiple blog sites has been that "they will find out".

I think you've answered your own question.

Some people (sadly) are in a position to get away with lying about medical stuff. It doesn't sound like you are.