• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Question?

ELCID05

Does a having a cavity cause someone to go into a med down status? I was just wondering whether or not you are considered med downin the time in between your dental exam in your flight physical and your appointment to have a cavity filled. I appreciate any insight anybody has.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
It all depends on what the dentists says. In my case: I had to get two cavities filled. I wasn't med down. Just so you know, you'll be med down for 24 hrs after you get the cavity filled.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
joboy666 said:
I believe so. At least someone I know didn't get an up-chit until they had it filled...no biggie..

Josh

Are you even talking about someone in a flying billet on flying status?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, are you talking about a commissioned officer in a flight program?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, we're talking about some IN flight training, ON flight status. Not someone waiting for initial approval. You're out of your element here.

Generally, the Dental Hobby Shop will keep you clear until after the work is done, and that depends on what exactly they had to do. I've more than one time when I needed a filling and told the Doc I needed to wait until after a qual phase or operational requirement. I stayed up until I had the time to get it taken care of.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Yeah, we're talking about some IN flight training, ON flight status. Not someone waiting for initial approval. You're out of your element here.

Generally, the Dental Hobby Shop will keep you clear until after the work is done, and that depends on what exactly they had to do. I've more than one time when I needed a filling and told the Doc I needed to wait until after a qual phase or operational requirement. I stayed up until I had the time to get it taken care of.

Ditto. Generally a non-issue. Another "technique" is to be scheduled to fly the same day as your flight physical, which allows you to play the "I can't get my shots today" card.

ELCID05

Thanks for the insight. I was just wondering because I am getting close to starting API and after this initial 7 month wait I don't want to be put in a med down status and get a further delay. I may just wait and get it taken care of after API while I'm in my next 2 month wait. If there are any glaring issues with this logic please set me straight.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a difference between being med down for flight duty and med down for swimming (which I assume you mean). Docs have more options than you might think. Just get it taken care of. Waiting could create a more serious problem that could affect your time in Primary.

P3 F0

None
As far as the original question goes, it also depends on where you are. I'm in a joint flying billet right now in the DC area and no one in the medical community seems to know (or care) anything about up/down chits. Much different than when I was on an actual Navy Base.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are down 24 hours...only if you get novacaine.

At least that's what happened to me. I had an ACM hop that afternoon...and said "no novacaine...just drill it." He did, and I flew.

On a related topic...for the old guys...."Is it safe? Is it safe?"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
On a related topic...for the old guys...."Is it safe? Is it safe?"
One of Olivier's weirdest roles. Whoever wrote that scene was a genius.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
One of Olivier's weirdest roles. Whoever wrote that scene was a genius.

Brett

I shudder even thinking of it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No one ever gets the joke when I say that. I'm glad someone else "knows."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
No one ever gets the joke when I say that. I'm glad someone else "knows."
That's such a classic reference, but it does often go unrecognized - kids these days. ;)

Brett