• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Records in Another State

thirsty-camel

My buddy was recently hospitalized (for a few hours) for a behavioral condition which would probably almost surely be disqualifying. Akin to, or among, extreme alcohol abuse (comatose), drug abuse, total nervous breakdown/schizoid-adjacent symptoms, etc. This is an isolated incident, and my buddy is otherwise an OK guy with a good, clean record----grades, STEM, sports, leadership, volunteer work etc, and comes from a good family.

The catch: this happened in another state, about 500 miles from my buddy's hometown. So any medical records would be out there.

My buddy hates lying. Hypothetically speaking, were he to neglect to mention this on his SF86, how long would it take for the talented people down at the background check office to detect this? Has anyone experience with cases such as these?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is an isolated incident,
One wonders, how you've made this determination... about your buddy. Everyone thinks their drug and alcohol-fueled nervous breakdown is just a one time thing when it happens to stand in the way of their career ambitions.

You're not physically qualified... not even close, at least in the short term. There's probably a way forward if the right medical people sign off on it, but if you lie about it, you'll be SOL forever.

Choose wisely.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
My buddy was recently hospitalized (for a few hours) for a behavioral condition which would probably almost surely be disqualifying. Akin to, or among, extreme alcohol abuse (comatose), drug abuse, total nervous breakdown/schizoid-adjacent symptoms, etc. This is an isolated incident, and my buddy is otherwise an OK guy with a good, clean record----grades, STEM, sports, leadership, volunteer work etc, and comes from a good family.

The catch: this happened in another state, about 500 miles from my buddy's hometown. So any medical records would be out there.

My buddy hates lying. Hypothetically speaking, were he to neglect to mention this on his SF86, how long would it take for the talented people down at the background check office to detect this? Has anyone experience with cases such as these?

Thank you.

SF86 wise, I’d just report it and get it over with.

Over the years I’ve know a bunch of people who had what they believed to be potentially disqualifying things in their background that they reported on their SF86 or to their investigator and all ended up getting or keeping their clearances. Not limited to but including:

Having a brother who is gay
Being gay
Trying cocaine for fun
Smoking weed 14 times
Smoking weed and then lying about drug use on a previous SF86 because their recruiter told them to.
NJP’d
Being prescribed ADHD/mental health meds as a child
Reckless driving charge
Spending a week in jail after summer cruise.
Sexual harassment charge
Harassment charge
Restraining order/MPO
Drunk on duty/at work

I’m sure there’s more I’ve forgotten.

Disclose it and you’ll be a lot better off than if/when they find out through other means. When that happens and you don’t disclose it to your investigator during your subject interview you’re pretty effe’d.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thank you.

Agreed with all of the responses above. MEPS and MHS Genesis will very likely find yours… sorry “your buddy’s” information.

You know an awful lot about “this buddy” of yours… assuming this is in fact you why are you lying to us about it? Just create a burner / throwaway AWs account and tell the truth.

robav8r

None
Contributor
SF86 wise, I’d just report it and get it over with.

Over the years I’ve know a bunch of people who had what they believed to be potentially disqualifying things in their background that they reported on their SF86 or to their investigator and all ended up getting or keeping their clearances. Not limited to but including:

Having a brother who is gay
Being gay
Trying cocaine for fun
Smoking weed 14 times
Smoking weed and then lying about drug use on a previous SF86 because their recruiter told them to.
NJP’d
Being prescribed ADHD/mental health meds as a child
Reckless driving charge
Spending a week in jail after summer cruise.
Sexual harassment charge
Harassment charge
Restraining order/MPO
Drunk on duty/at work

I’m sure there’s more I’ve forgotten.

Disclose it and you’ll be a lot better off than if/when they find out through other means. When that happens and you don’t disclose it to your investigator during your subject interview you’re pretty effe’d.
Zippy - this sounds like Navy life in the 80's 🤣 🤣 🤣

robav8r

None
Contributor
Agreed with all of the responses above. MEPS and MHS Genesis will very likely find yours… sorry “your buddy’s” information.

You know an awful lot about “this buddy” of yours… assuming this is in fact you why are you lying to us about it? Just create a burner / throwaway AWs account and tell the truth.
Wait, "a burner AW account?" Does such a thing exist??

thirsty-camel

One wonders, how you've made this determination... about your buddy. Everyone thinks their drug and alcohol-fueled nervous breakdown is just a one time thing when it happens to stand in the way of their career ambitions.

You're not physically qualified... not even close, at least in the short term. There's probably a way forward if the right medical people sign off on it, but if you lie about it, you'll be SOL forever.

Choose wisely.
Thank you for this response. If you will, are waivers for these sorts of things evaluated within the context of the applicant’s overall profile? Or do they not care? Eg would they be more forgiving towards applicants with better test scores?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you for this response. If you will, are waivers for these sorts of things evaluated within the context of the applicant’s overall profile? Or do they not care? Eg would they be more forgiving towards applicants with better test scores?
Medical folks aren't going to know or care about your academic info, but you're asking a question that is impossible to answer. Be honest, apply for any waivers that may be required, and go from there. You cannot know the outcome or your probability of success beforehand.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Waivers are reviewed on a case by case basis. Having a certain test score or pursuing a certain program has no impact on a medical waiver.