• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

medical waiver problem

Wambo

I am 25 years old and fractured my skull when I was 11 in a car accident, resulting in my brain hemorrhaging. I had CT scans done back in February, then had an EEG done and was evaluated by a neurologist about a month ago. MEPS has all the related documents proving that I am 100% fine. According to the doctor, everything is fine and I have absolutely no lasting damage. I also took the ASTB a month ago, scoring a 9/9/9 65. My OCS package is complete, and all I need is a medical waiver. I just recieved a message from my recruiter stating that I was denied the waiver. I was given the option to seek further medical evaluation at my own expense, then reapply for the waiver. I can't think of any more medical procedures that would be necessary to prove that I am 100% healthy. I have been trying to get a commission in the Navy for almost a year and a half. I would hate to be denied for an accident that occured 14 years ago, especially since I don't have any lasting damage. I would really appreciate any advice that anyone out there has to give me.

Thanks,
John

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I am 25 years old and fractured my skull when I was 11 in a car accident, resulting in my brain hemorrhaging. I had CT scans done back in February, then had an EEG done and was evaluated by a neurologist about a month ago. MEPS has all the related documents proving that I am 100% fine. According to the doctor, everything is fine and I have absolutely no lasting damage. I also took the ASTB a month ago, scoring a 9/9/9 65. My OCS package is complete, and all I need is a medical waiver. I just recieved a message from my recruiter stating that I was denied the waiver. I was given the option to seek further medical evaluation at my own expense, then reapply for the waiver. I can't think of any more medical procedures that would be necessary to prove that I am 100% healthy. I have been trying to get a commission in the Navy for almost a year and a half. I would hate to be denied for an accident that occured 14 years ago, especially since I don't have any lasting damage. I would really appreciate any advice that anyone out there has to give me.

Thanks,
John

While my head injury was far less significant, I had to go through a traumatic brain injury-mild waiver process. The only thing extra that I did that it doesn't sound like you did was an IQ exam. It took about 6-8 hours, and was actually kind of interesting to see, though I have no idea what the cost of the exam is. I don't know if something like that would help, but it was part of my waiver process for my injury. However, I was just knocked unconscious and there was no skull fracture or brain hemorrhaging.

Wambo

I found out what the test is that I need to take. The problem is that it costs almost $2,000 and the Navy said I have to pay for it myself. Why would they all of a sudden cut me off when this is the last test that needs to be done? I don't have that kind of money lying around. Does anybody know who I should talk to to try to change their mind? My recruiters say it is out of their hands.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why should the Navy pay for it? It's you that needs the waiver, not the Navy. Further, they have more applicants than they need. The Navy owes you nothing.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Why should the Navy pay for it? It's you that needs the waiver, not the Navy. Further, they have more applicants than they need. The Navy owes you nothing.

A true statement, but a regrettable one. It seems kind of cold hearted, but why would the Navy pay for a test when they have plenty of other qualified candidates who do not need the test?

It's possible you can have the test performed and billed to insurance. Some doctor's offices can be very flexible with the insurance rules. You'll never know unless you try, however.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

Back in 2002, I remember the meps paid for outside doctor visits for my friends.

If I paid 2,000 I would damn sure have something in writing somewhere I better get this waiver if I go through with it and everything checks out.. in all honesty that is kind of BS.. it's because of this stuff recruits are told by their recruiters to lie.. I mean come on.. you were 11.. I'm sure if you were impaired in anyway by now it would of showed up. You would think you could get your congressman involved in this one. it's not $200, it's $2,000. That's not pocket change for many trying to enter the military as an officer with an ass load of loans (for most) as is from school...

Your insurance wouldn't cover this?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Back in 2002, I remember the meps paid for outside doctor visits for my friends.

If I paid 2,000 I would damn sure have something in writing somewhere I better get this waiver if I go through with it and everything checks out.. in all honesty that is kind of BS.. it's because of this stuff recruits are told by their recruiters to lie.. I mean come on.. you were 11.. I'm sure if you were impaired in anyway by now it would of showed up. You would think you could get your congressman involved in this one. it's not $200, it's $2,000. That's not pocket change for many trying to enter the military as an officer with an ass load of loans (for most) as is from school...

Your insurance wouldn't cover this?

And flight school is between $1 and $1.5 million. Aircraft are anywhere from $700,000 in Orange and White land, to $50+ million in the fleet. You may think that another 2 Grand is chump change to the Gov, but they have to draw the line somewhere. If they paid for this test then they would have to pay every applicant who needs a waiver for every test under the sun. Not worth it. They aren't telling anyone to lie, they just aren't willing to throw the dice on someone who has had previous head trauma. I was told a while ago that one of the first things to go when aviation starts to get overmanned are waivers. Bottom line: for every 1 guy who needs a waiver, there are 10 who don't. And remember what a waiver is: it acknowledges that you don't meet the minimum requirements and allows you to train anyway. So why have 10% of your Pilots and FOs on waivers when you can limit that to 4%? What would a Congressman do in this situation anyway? "I've got a whiny kid here who says you guys aren't being fair." "Sir, we afforded him every opportunity to have his previous condition evaluated that we give everybody." Sounds pretty fair to me.
I've seen similar situations a few times, and everyone whom it happens to feels that they are being screwed. Maybe to a certain extent they are. But we'll never know if keeping them out of a cockpit saved someone life.