• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medication

kendallbea183

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me on this. I have done research, and couldnt really find anything that was clear. I have been given the option to take medication for depression, anxiety, and post traumatic stress disorder. I want to be a pilot, and so I dont want to do this, if it may disqualify me. I am not chemically unbalanced by some nuerosis, it was a hard past growing up that caused these things, and my current home life. The counclor said, once I get out, i wouldnt need to take them, because my problems would be gone, and I would have learned to deal with things in a more positive manner. I have never been suicidal or anything. I was just wondering, whats the policy on accepting those who have had been diagnosed with depression, anxiety or PTSD in the past, and took medication for these, but no longer have them. I am a Junior in highschool, and I am about to apply for scholarships, so I decided Id try to find some answers. Can I become a Pilot, or even get into ROTC or the military at all with these things? I greatly apreciate any input you guys have :-D thank you!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Taking any medication is going to make being a pilot that much harder. Will it disqualify you? There's no definite answer because it will vary on the circumstances. Maybe get a second opinion from another professional. It never hurts for another perspective. Keep in mind any advice you get online should never take the place of a trained professional.

red_ryder

None
So, you don't actually need them? Better try to work things out emotionally on your own before you go and fvck your brain chemistry with pharms.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Try searching the NOMI waiver guide, then look for Psychiatry. I can't use adobe from this computer or I would do a cut and paste. There are some medications/conditions which are medically disqualifying.

However, you gotta take care of these issues now. You will not be doing favors for either the Navy or YOU if you just blow it off. Get a second opinion from another counselor. It might also pay to talk to a medical corps recruiter...yea, I know you want to be a pilot, but, you need to speak in person to someone with which you can carry on a two way conversation regarding this matter. If they can't help you, call NOMI directly.

Good luck.

kendallbea183

Im' not sure what part of NOMI to call, I'm looking at a dirrectory, can you give me the thing to look for, or the number? Thanks for your help.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Been there, done that. If you are taking antidepressants the Navy will not let you into a commissioning program. If you are taking them, you have to get off before they consider a waiver.

schwarti

Contributor
Been there, done that. If you are taking antidepressants the Navy will not let you into a commissioning program. If you are taking them, you have to get off before they consider a waiver.

True. I think there's also a certain amount of time that you have to be off of them, to show that you can function normally without them. You may also have to get an evaluation from a mental health professional who can confirm that you don't display any symptoms that would prevent you from serving. Search through the site, there are a LOT of people (myself included) who have a history of taking the crazy pills, stopped, and got waivers.

schwarti

Contributor
That sounds right, but I can't remember precisely. I do know that it's more than just a few months.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...

This is more for curiosity than anything, but is the same said for those taking Wellbutrin for smoking cessation? (I'm not)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is more for curiosity than anything, but is the same said for those taking Wellbutrin for smoking cessation? (I'm not)

Hmm, no idea. I know some antidepressants are used to treat some other illnesses besides mental ones (such as gastrointestinal disorders), but I'm speaking about their usage in the psychiatric context.

And the rule of thumb is a year off medication, though I got one after only being off for 9 months, but I'd say don't count on that happening. To this day I think I'm the luckiest person ever for pulling off the waiver I got.

sbpilot

I believe sometimes (if the situation is desperate enough) you have to do a combo of therapy and anti-depressants. If your brain chemistry levels are "low" and need to be put back to the normal level than I don't think therapy would be able to take care of that. I'm no expert tho

schwarti

Contributor
Well, sure - some people really NEED the meds. Others don't. Some people do and then don't. I strongly suspect, though, that a lot of people who take these medicines don't really need them. I know that they never helped me one bit.