• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent00JP

I went to MEPS Thurs. (4/4) and it was nothing like I expected. They did not do a depth perception, field of vision or formal dental exams. Are they setting me up for the NAMI Whammi, or is it typical for something like depth perception to not be tested? I didn't get "the poke" either. Is this something they skip based on health appearances, etc. Or did the doctor just feel the same way I did about it? (Maybe the $20 bill I had stuck in the crack of my @$$ did the trick? j/k)

Also, I had an abnormal EKG reading for blocked conduction. How does the cardiology consult go? If I get PQ'd by the cardiologist is this something I will have to fight later with another cardiologist that has another opinion? Also, if I end up having to get a waiver, will I have to re-visit the problem at NAMI and every other time I get physical'd in my career? Does anyone have experience with this type of problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Agent00JP
webmaster
http://www.TheSprintSign.com

Edited by - Agent00JP on 04/06/2002 11:37:26

Edited by - Agent00JP on 04/06/2002 11:40:05

Gator

Before your applicatin package goes before the selection board your fliight physical will be reviewed by the head flight surgeon. If you have not had the appropriate tests done then I don't see how they can say you are medically qualified for flight duty. When I got my flight physical the eye doctor wasn't there. They told me that I could either return the next day or go out in town and get it completed. Either way I had to have the entire flight physical done before they would even send it off. There is the possibility that MEPS screwed up. I know that I had to keep reminding everyone that I saw that I needed a complete flight physical. Hope it owrks out for you!
Scott

eaneal

This is the first I have heard of a dental exam. What are they looking for here?

Thanks,
eaneal

Agent00JP

I ended up getting the depth perception done again at a naval hospital separate from MEPS and it was fabulous. The guys there were much more helpful. They even showed me an enlarged example of what is actually in the test, which I feel was the difference in passing and having trouble with it.

Agent00JP

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I need the rundown, from start to finish, of what all happens at MEPS. How long should I expect to be there? What tests are done? Is a dental exam performed? What paper work do I need to bring? My OSO said he'd make sure I was good to go before I went, but my curiousity has gotten the best of me, so can anyone let me know how it all works at good 'ol MEPS?

version2point0

MEPS doesnt do a dental exam or a rectal exam. they only check vision acuity, hearing acuity, blood test EKG for officers only, pee test, reflexes, joint movement (chicken walk!), eyes, ears, throat, and medical history. from what i read, they did everything they normally do to you and you missed nothing.

-v2.0

riley

Expect to be there around 6 hours. You go through what version2.0 stated - you also have an interview with a doctor. The chickenwalk is just one of many fun agility/mobility exercises they make you do. That part lasts anywhere from 30 min. to an hour. and is usually the last thing.

What takes the longest is waiting for the individual screening areas, blood, eyes, hearing, etc - I guess they are just trying to get you used to the military....

version2point0

yeah once they saw is was DNZ (the Z meant officer) they treated me a whole heck of a lot better. ilkes me that good home comfort.

-v2.0

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks for the insight guys. Looks like I have something to look forward too. When do you take the flight physical?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the doc's are suppose to do the "poke" until you are 40 or 50 (cue Chevy Chase singing Moon River). It is always good fodder for Flight Surgeon jokes though....

As for the flight physical at NAMI, I remember it being held before you API.

version2point0

yeah primary. and i heard you get poked at NAMI OCS too. ah well, its just one step in a lot of steps to success at OCS. i wont care after black saturday now will i.

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.