• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mid-air collision in Corona, California

USNMark

A midair collision occurred earlier today near Corona Municipal Airport (KAJO). I really hope I didn't know one of the 4 victims. Even if I didn't know them, I still understand what a loss it is. My prayers are with them and their families. Please don't add posts after this with conjecture or thoughts about what you think happened. It will most certainly be inaccurate and will get this thread closed for violating forum rules.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I live in Corona and used to fly at FlyCorona (the FBO that the Cessna 150 was out of). I've flown in the pattern at AJO many times and I can tell you that sometimes it becomes an extremely busy place. Just a sad day for all involved and the city of Corona itself, my prayers go out to the families and to the flying community here in Corona.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
It will most certainly be inaccurate and will get this thread closed for violating forum rules.
It is ashame that people die on a beautiful day doing what they love. Could we get some clarification on speculation on CIVILIAN mishaps? Public speculation is prohibited for military mishaps but I want to check to see if Airwarriors prohibit it on CIVILIAN mishaps also.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We've already speculated on the BA crash in London. I personally don't have a problem with speculation on the civ side. I do have a prob with speculation for military accidents, as this forum can be used as somewhat of an open source with all of the inside knowledges that lurk here.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I grew up in La Verne and used to take the COD to Bracket (whatever it's called now) and Chino to shoot approaches once in a while. It was once in a while due to the extremely crowded airspace in that area with to many novices flying around. You could tell by the radio calls for one. Just not good and I always thought it was a wonder there weren't more mishaps such as midairs.

invertedflyer

Its still called Brackett... wow the approach there would be interesting in a COD. Yes it can get extremely busy between Corona, Riverside, and Chino. I've been flying in this area for the last 7 years and have had a couple close calls, most involved pilots simply not checking in on the CTAF.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
This story really send chills down my back. I've had one close call and it scared the shit out of me. The families are in my thoughts.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Its still called Brackett... wow the approach there would be interesting in a COD. Yes it can get extremely busy between Corona, Riverside, and Chino. I've been flying in this area for the last 7 years and have had a couple close calls, most involved pilots simply not checking in on the CTAF.

Shot both the ILS to 26 (I believe it was 26) then the VOR that comes in perpendicular to 8/26. I remember looking down on the low approach and seeing folks point up, as if saying WTF is that?? Our TCAS was going off all over the place when flying down there as well. Just busy. Much scarier IMO than flying around the boat.

invertedflyer

yeah that VOR-A approach must have been especially interesting in that big bird of yours. No doubt got the attention of local bystanders. But yes anywhere around here is extremely busy. Lake Mathews is one of the big training areas (6 miles or so south of Riverside Municipal). Most of the time people check in to Lake Mathews traffic 123.5, but every now and then someone comes in to train and doesn't check in or report their position. I know that USNMark recently had an encounter with a pilot that wasn't monitoring. It can get dicey around these parts. One nice thing about flying with the Garmin 1000 is that it has the TCAS, now if we can just get the price down ;)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4164728

They are saying now that someone on the ground was also killed.

The title of this article really doesn't help the situation at all. Pretty insensitive. This will just be more ammo for those who hate GA and are trying to regulate the hell out of flying.

Yeah, you'd think the editor would have tried to be a little more sensitive and used a less graphic title for the article. Thoughts and prayers for the victims and families.