• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midway POV...Wade McClusky

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
From SJS:
Written narratives and biographies are important and a primary research source. However, when one has the opportunity to listen to a narrative, especially of one who was there and played a key role in a major event - that is even better. Courtesy friend and contributor to this blog, LCDR George Walsh, USN-Ret, himself a dive bomber pilot from the Pacific theater (SB2C Helldiver) comes a clip of a radio interview with then RDML Wade McClusky, USN-Ret conducted on the 30th anniversary of the Battle of Midway and a few short years before he left this life for greener pastures. - SJS

http://steeljawscribe.com/wordpress.../10/C.Wade-McClusky-Radio-interview-19722.wav

h93187.jpg

015704w-1024x969.jpg

Owen

That is tremendous! Thank you for posting that. One
can read all the books on Midway, but there's niothing
like hearing it from a guy who was there.

Chester

Along the same lines, I'm currently reading "Dawn like Thunder" which follows Torpedo Squadron Eight through Midway and Guadalcanal. Great read and incredible journey along the path that those before us carved... highly recommended.

Owen

That's a great read. Gene Hansen (Three Navy
Crosses) is retired in Pensacola and is a really
nice guy.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Never had any, but I always loved the embriodered wings. I felt you had to be either (a) a real hero like McClusky, or (b) no-shit rich - and I wasn't either - to deserve to wear them. Must be something about the scots in the Navy (McClusky/McCampbell) -they seemed to do pretty well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I love the fact that I have more ribbons than an actual, no shit war hero. Awards inflation, what?