• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mini-OCS pendleton

Trev82

pilot
I'm leaving town this weekend and can't attend the mini ocs at pendleton, does anyone know if that will have an impact on selection? Does the board even take notice if you went or not, i'd hate to have that compromise my selection b/c of an extenuating circumstance.......

Rasczak

Marine
This was already asked I believe.
While it is fun to play Marine for a weekend, it's not required. It's there for your benefit and nothing else. Don't sweat it too much. The consesus is, you'll come back sore as hell no matter how much you work out. The basic gist of what you learn there is that, Your gonna be sore during OCS. No way around it unless your Chuck Norris. You take in a lot of information. Figure out a way to retain said information.
Oh, and if you puss out there...better rethink OCS. I went a few weeks back and we had 2 people drop out while the staff was introducing themselves, and atleast another 5-10 that fell out during the 6 mile ruck march, and that's cause our rucks weighed at most, 20 lbs...

Trev82

pilot
good ol' time

damn that sounds like some good times, my days of backpacking yosemite would sure come in handy! Thanks a lot, i've been kinda worried about that....

Lawman

None
damn that sounds like some good times, my days of backpacking yosemite would sure come in handy! Thanks a lot, i've been kinda worried about that....

Im an avid backpacker, did the Appalacian Trail as well as other trips. A "fitness hike" or Hump as you will hear them called is like nothing Ive ever done before. The combination of heat, humidity, pace, and constant slinky effect because some jack hole runs to catch up to the guy infront of him when his SI starts screaming about keeping it tight just wears you down fast. Im not saying you cant do it but you deffinately start wishing you were a bit taller if your a short legged 5'10" guy like me.

narfmasta

This was already asked I believe.
While it is fun to play Marine for a weekend, it's not required. It's there for your benefit and nothing else. Don't sweat it too much. The consesus is, you'll come back sore as hell no matter how much you work out. The basic gist of what you learn there is that, Your gonna be sore during OCS. No way around it unless your Chuck Norris. You take in a lot of information. Figure out a way to retain said information.
Oh, and if you puss out there...better rethink OCS. I went a few weeks back and we had 2 people drop out while the staff was introducing themselves, and atleast another 5-10 that fell out during the 6 mile ruck march, and that's cause our rucks weighed at most, 20 lbs...

We had some people fall out w/ heat stroke or dehydration. Two had temps of 105 and one a 104.7... Gunny's ripped them apart for not drinking canteens like they told them to. Being sore definitely sucked, I learned that I am going to stretch like crazy before ANYTHING out there. Also retaining info sucked. They throw so much at you so fast that it's nearly impossible to retain. And definitely if you are gonna puss out over a weekend, OCS is not going to be very fun for you at all.

My OSO said that what he had us do Fri-Sun is significantly more than we'll ever do in two consecutive days at OCS (we humped something like 26 miles). He wanted to throw as much at us so that we wouldn't be AS surprised when we get out there.

Im an avid backpacker, did the Appalacian Trail as well as other trips. A "fitness hike" or Hump as you will hear them called is like nothing Ive ever done before. The combination of heat, humidity, pace, and constant slinky effect because some jack hole runs to catch up to the guy infront of him when his SI starts screaming about keeping it tight just wears you down fast. Im not saying you cant do it but you deffinately start wishing you were a bit taller if your a short legged 5'10" guy like me.

I HATED the people that freaking ran to catch up when they told us to "tighten up." I cannot count how many times I got ripped for having such a huge gap because the numbnuts in front of me wouldn't just lengthen his freaking stride... And don't complain about being short! I'm 5'7 haha
I found though that I could keep up w/ everyone if I just increased my stride.

Rasczak

Marine
No kidding man. that sucked. What made it worse was that the guy in front of me kept slowing down. I knew when he'd slow down cause I'd end up stepping on his heels. Kept him up with the pace most of the way.
I'm doing another ruck march with the AROTC guys this friday. Should be fun.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

ahhhhhh the little end... 5'9" here... I feel your pain :) Those humps were just like an extended bad dream... and just when you thought they were over... oh wait that was someone elses water jugs, we still have a mile to go. Puts the P in Pain. But when its over its over...

As far as OCS prep weekend... if you're doing PLC 6-week you'll have more than one chance to attend it. Take advantage. I went to OCS-prep both times over at Pendleton... spent more time on my face there than every day at OCS combined... good prep. Unfortunately I have to drill this weekend.. I was looking forward to "observing" for once.

^^ be easy on those Army boyz Ras, don't wanna have to firemans carry one of them outta there (or maybe you do nm!) ;)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...I HATED the people that freaking ran to catch up when they told us to "tighten up." I cannot count how many times I got ripped for having such a huge gap because the numbnuts in front of me wouldn't just lengthen his freaking stride... And don't complain about being short! I'm 5'7 haha I found though that I could keep up w/ everyone if I just increased my stride.

The duty platoon was always in front of the company on our hikes. Unless of course the chick platoon wasnt duty platoon. Then they would be in the front regardless. It sucked being in 3rd platoon (and 4th too i supposed) because we were almost always at the back of the stack... :icon_rage

MasterHaynes86

by time the first night hump came, our platoon had figured out lining up from shortest to tallest (front to back) was the best way to keep 'catch up' down... it worked well and I was like 3rd from the back :)