• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mirage F1 Star Wars

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I'd guess Chad...wonder if the KC at the begining is the same as performed the now infamous low pass...:D

Great flying...here is crossing my fingers.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Every time those guys would take off in Djibouti, it sounded like they were screaming right down the middle of your tent. I learned real fast to leave my hearing protection next to me when I slept.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Low level for USN

Nice..

When do we get to do THAT in Kingsville?! :icon_smil

Don't hold your breath!

We got to rage over Saudi in Desert Shield...those guys were being conservative!

LowLevel.jpg
[/IMG]

Photo by HJ

The REAL Star Wars Canyon experience is in Oman where you are actually in a canyon with a challenging reverse S turn

Pugs

Back from the range
None
We got to rage over Saudi in Desert Shield...those guys were being conservative!

Ahhh the wet 1 and 2 routes did them a bunch.... never got to do Oman although ended up in a Jaguar-Prowler-Tomcat furball over water due a slight misunderstanding on someone's part ;)

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Did an Intruder det to Masirah, Oman in 1995. We provided tanking quals and low level intercept for their Hawks. Nothing like doing a section low level at 200' (lowest we could go "legally" so I am sure that is as low as we went), look over and see a Hawk coming out of the dirt, low to high, on your wingman.

Brit pilots, fly twice a day, done by 1400, at the club by 1500. And the Brits had booze.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing like doing a section low level at 200' (lowest we could go "legally" so I am sure that is as low as we went), look over and see a Hawk coming out of the dirt, low to high, on your wingman.

Brit pilots, fly twice a day, done by 1400, at the club by 1500. And the Brits had booze.

In our face-to-face, we asked about their "Hard Deck" for ACM. Their answer was a stomp of their foot and "That's the deck, mate!" They were so low that the shadow and the aircraft were virtually one and the same making them hard to pick out. And they knew every rock. Real wake up call from stateside scripted and constrained scenarios. They would show up anywhere including out at sea (typically lower than you could imagine, but you learned to expect) so you had to constantly keep your head on a swivel and use every asset you had to pick them up.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Their answer was a stomp of their foot and "That's the deck, mate!" They were so low that the shadow and the aircraft were virtually one and the same making them hard to pick out. And they knew every rock. Real wake up call from stateside scripted and constrained scenarios.

This brings up an interesting question that maybe you guys further along could kick around. Since I haven't gone through it, I obviously don't know, but...

From the sounds of our training, and what I have seen so far, it is detailed, technical and professional...but it is also, as Joe says, scripted and constrained. Is this always the case, and if so, are we putting ourselves at a disadvantage, or at least providing a weakness, when faced by a world which may not train the same way?

Mods feel free to split if you'd like.