• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Misconduct Waiver

creativejos

Greetings,

I joined the Army in 1996 and found out it was not what I wanted to do. I was inexperienced and wanted a taste of life. I did everything to get out, including skipping PT, fighting and getting arrested, insubordination...etc Well, I finally got what I wanted and was discharged in 1998 for misconduct with a RE code of 3. I am now 32, I finished college graduating with a 3.8, and am currently a teacher. I also regret some of the decisions that I have made including acting like an ass to get out of the army. The point is now I want to be an officer. I was told by my recruiter that I could possibly get a wavier. But I would need three letters of recommendation, which is not a problem. My principal and assistant principal were glad to do it, however, I am still a little nervous. Has anyone experienced this or could offer some advice.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Greetings,

I joined the Army in 1996 and found out it was not what I wanted to do. I was inexperienced and wanted a taste of life. I did everything to get out, including skipping PT, fighting and getting arrested, insubordination...etc Well, I finally got what I wanted and was discharged in 1998 for misconduct with a RE code of 3. I am now 32, I finished college graduating with a 3.8, and am currently a teacher. I also regret some of the decisions that I have made including acting like an ass to get out of the army. The point is now I want to be an officer. I was told by my recruiter that I could possibly get a wavier. But I would need three letters of recommendation, which is not a problem. My principal and assistant principal were glad to do it, however, I am still a little nervous. Has anyone experienced this or could offer some advice.

1. Don't be nervous. You lived and you've been upfront about what you learned. Sounds like you're a solid citizen if you're teaching and pulled down a 3.8 GPA.

2. As to letters of recommendation, especially in your case, I'd pick either the principal or assistant, but not both. You need others who know you from different perspectives ( maybe a parent) but try to find retired or active duty officers who can comment on your leadership potential and motivation (you want to neutralize or counterbalance the BCD).

3. I would advise thinking about your age. That disqualifies you from some paths right off the bat so you need to research what you're still qualified for that you'd want to do.

creativejos

Thanks,

I have been doing a little research and am interested in being a public affairs officer. The cut off age is like 35. I am looking over info about the ASTB and can't believe that people who know nothing about this stuff can pass. I will definately need to study. I am a teacher, however, I am also a single parent of four...do the math. I am excited about the opportunity but a little nervous that although I finished with a 3.8, I may not have what it takes. Oh, by the way, I will have help with my kids.

Clux4

Banned
Greetings,

An RE 3 is fine. It would have been impossible if it was a 4. HJ's advice is solid. A well rounded approach should help.
Since you are on here, I am guessing you are looking into the Navy or USMC. If I may say, you should also look into the Army. I am sure they will be more willing to open their arms to someone that used to one of them. The Army is also more lenient than say USMC or Navy when it comes to issues like this. If Active Duty does not work out, try the Guard.

All the best

Clux

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In addition to Clux's good advice, you ought to look into what OCS entails physically and make sure you are up to that. Another option is DCO route. There is ample info on the forum about both including several folks who went PAO in last year. BTW - Intel and PAO are VERY competitive so look at what others had in their packages and use PM feature to talk to them.

creativejos

single parent

Thanks for all off the advice about the misconduct waiver. I am weighing my options. If selected I would like to stay in until I retire. My ultimate goal is to be a clinical psychologist. I paid my way through undergrad and I am about to begin Capella University in April to get a masters in psychology all while working as a teacher and parenting four, alone. I know that I will need a family care plan, and I have that. I do not want the board to think that I am not a good fit because I am a single parent. However, I want them to know that I can perservere. I have face many challenges and most of them came as a result of having to raise my children alone. Should I mention in my motivational statement anything about facing and overcoming challenges associated with being a single parent and trying to be successful? I wouldn't want them to think I would bail at the first sign of trouble. Remember I already have the misconduct obstacle to overcome.