• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Missile Component Damage Reported at Minot AFB

KBayDog

Story...

...and, in other news, an Aviator broke the point off of a pencil while he was conducting routine totaling of his logbook earlier this week. He blurted an expletive, in accordance with standard procedures.

The pencil was not touching the logbook at the time of the incident.

No personnel were injured, and other people in the room did not hear the expletive. The event had minimal impact on daily operations (he had to track down a pencil sharpener) and no impact on the squadron's readiness or ability to intercept radials.

The event did not warrant a report to the chain of command.

No investigation is being conducted.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
A 26 year old man was greatly annoyed today when he read an article about some bullshit the air farce did in a hole in some Godforsaken part of the country. His wife reportedly rolled her eyes when she heard him ranting to himself about "How fucking stupid the Air Force is."

News at 11.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus. If it weren't on a USAF website, I'd be willing to personally hunt down and publically shame this story's author.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
"The incident warranted a report to the chain of command due to the Air Force's continued exacting focus, attention to detail, discipline and adherence to the highest standards for all activities surrounding nuclear-capable weapons systems, the officials said...."

Except when we load them up and fly them around the country, in violation of several international treaties, for shits and gigs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to guess that "component" means "nuclear warhead".

Not necessarily, any incident involving a nuclear weapon or delivery system, loaded with a 'live' warhead or not, is taken very seriously and handled/reported differently than if something happened to a 'normal' weapon. And from what I know ordies and/or maintainers don't mess around that much with the actual warheads except to arm and load them onto aircraft or missiles if necessary.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Back in February of 1968 (I realize most of you weren't born then), some shit-hot AF B-52 driver/crew dropped a hydrogen bomb [not armed] through the ice of Thule Bay at Thule AB (Greenland). The Danes, who own Greenland, were understandably upset because the U.S. government had signed a protocol stipulating that we would not overfly Greenland with a/c carrying nuclear weapons. My squadron had this super-duper new device called airborne infrared, so we went up there & located the errant bomb. Then there was the AF B-52 that dropped another one in the Med off the coast of Spain. Navy deep-sumersibles & divers found that one for them. I think we have a case here that the Navy has greatly helped our weapons-toting DMV boys from time to time.

GroundPounder

Back in February of 1968 (I realize most of you weren't born then), some shit-hot AF B-52 driver/crew dropped a hydrogen bomb [not armed] through the ice of Thule Bay at Thule AB (Greenland). The Danes, who own Greenland, were understandably upset because the U.S. government had signed a protocol stipulating that we would not overfly Greenland with a/c carrying nuclear weapons. My squadron had this super-duper new device called airborne infrared, so we went up there & located the errant bomb. Then there was the AF B-52 that dropped another one in the Med off the coast of Spain. Navy deep-sumersibles & divers found that one for them. I think we have a case here that the Navy has greatly helped our weapons-toting DMV boys from time to time.

Sir,

Don't forget the one that they dropped outside of Savannah, Ga when Hunter AAF was a B47 base instead of a secret squirrel nest. Every few years someone decides that they know where it should be and they start searching, but as of yet its still resting ( rusting ? ) in the marsh.

I betting that the person that eventually finds it will be looking for shrimp or oysters, not a Mk15.

KBayDog

I betting that the person that eventually finds it will be looking for shrimp or oysters, not a Mk15.

Or just a random fisherman.

simpsons-mutant-fish-blinky_0.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As much as I would love to pile on the USAF the Navy has lost a few as well and never recovered them including an A-4 that rolled off the deck of a carrier with one strapped on.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Then there was the AF B-52 that dropped another one in the Med off the coast of Spain. Navy deep-sumersibles & divers found that one for them. I think we have a case here that the Navy has greatly helped our weapons-toting DMV boys from time to time.

It was far worse than that. The B-52 and a KC-135 collided. The tanker blew up and the B-52 broke up in flight. The bomb that the DSS Alvin found was the one that didn't go off. There were three others went ashore after the BUFF broke up and two had low order explosions of the triggers spreading a whole lot of radioactive nastiness around the tomato fields. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash

I read a book on this a few years ago and as much of a stink as it was then I can't imagine what a stink it would be now.

gotta_fly

pilot
I believe that was the last time the Air Force had fatalities from AR, and as a result crews in both aircraft had to wear helmets as a precaution during refueling for quite a while. Thankfully that rule has since gone away.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It was far worse than that. The B-52 and a KC-135 collided. The tanker blew up and the B-52 broke up in flight. The bomb that the DSS Alvin found was the one that didn't go off. There were three others went ashore after the BUFF broke up and two had low order explosions of the triggers spreading a whole lot of radioactive nastiness around the tomato fields. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash

I read a book on this a few years ago and as much of a stink as it was then I can't imagine what a stink it would be now.
Iwas impressed that the fisherman was able to get paid for salvage rights...probably made more that day than he did in 10 years fishing...