• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Missile Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordTravi

Annoying Pre-BDCP Guy
I'm sorry if this stuff is classified or something you're not supposed to talk about.

I've been wondering for a while how the planes detect missile launches. I guess with radar guided missiles they could pick up the radar, but what about heat seekers? Aren't heat seeker guidance systems pretty much passive toward the aircraft, as they pick up heat signatures without having to send anything?

Does the plane's radar notice a small, fast thing and figure out that it's a missile?

I guess getting told by your plane that a missile is coming is one of the scariest things in the world..

Thanks

phrogpilot73

I'm sorry if this stuff is classified or something you're not supposed to talk about.

I've been wondering for a while how the planes detect missile launches. I guess with radar guided missiles they could pick up the radar, but what about heat seekers? Aren't heat seeker guidance systems pretty much passive toward the aircraft, as they pick up heat signatures without having to send anything?

Does the plane's radar notice a small, fast thing and figure out that it's a missile?

I guess getting told by your plane that a missile is coming is one of the scariest things in the world..

Thanks
We can go into all sorts of classified material here... Mods, can you lock this one? Sorry.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do a google web search and you will most likely find unclass info out there on the subject you seek.

Because of what most of us do here for a living, our answers could be on the edge of being classified. Thus the lock down.

Status
Not open for further replies.