• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mock Gunman Scares North Carolina Students During Drill

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I saw this on the news today and was wondering the same thing. Apparently they sent out a text message and e-mail to everyone, but this is just over the top. They couldn't just practice lockdown procedures?

Birdman

I agree, me too, but it would be why the lefties don't want to CCW in schools. All us crazy students will shoot up the place

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
If a gun looks real, other than its paint job - it's real enough to me. There are services which will paint your gun up any way you like it and gang-bangers have been known to sport brightly colored guns in order to give them that split second advantage over the cops (or other gang members).

Do you really want to take the time to find out? Sure, if he's not pointing the gun AT you and you can get the drop on him, I'd definitely tell him to "FREEZE!!!" and "DROP YOUR WEAPON!!!" But if he didn't immediately do as I ordered, I'd be the one going home to my family that night.

I understand the university's need to practice for that situation. Indeed I think drilling is a good idea, but this was a poorly thought out, poorly planned operation.

I'm also not sure that teaching students to comply with a hostage taker is a good idea, as recent events have shown it might prolong your life for a few minutes, but you're likely to get shot none-the-less. May as well go down fighting, maybe someone else will live and write a nice letter about you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I agree, me too, but it would be why the lefties don't want to CCW in schools. All us crazy students will shoot up the place
Maybe if CCW was allowed then people would pull idiotic shit like this. Just a hunch since you don't hear of this garbage happening at gun shows and the like.

jakeey426

Just a top-shelf idea! The individuals committing these crimes aren't stupid. They painstakingly plan these things. Maybe some deranged student would take the FIVE DAY notice to go ahead and orchestrate a shooting during that five day period knowing that no one would be inclined to do shit because they would all think it was a drill...meanwhile, he shoots the place up. An active shooter scenario like that would cause just enough confusion for any effective police action to be taken in time. I'm agreeing with Skidz here...in situations like that, there's not a whole lot of time to think. If I had been packing in that classroom, he would have been a dead man.

Ace_Austin

pilot
He was using a RedGun. Deadly force would not have been necessary, and in court arguably not authorized.

While true, I'd put pretty good money on the fact most of the kids in that class didn't realize it. Well below average for headwork. Thats like strapping on a bunch of modeling clay with wires in it and trying to walk through Logan Airport. Your not really armed, but your still terrorizing. I smell a lawsuit.