• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Questions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermit

I guess from the lack of responce from my previous question that no one else has heard yet either regarding this years scholarships. I take that as a good thing, my first taste of Navy "hurry up and wait". Has anyone else planned on an aviation major (flying) at either ER, Purdue, OU etc? Has anyone taken an aviation major and did it help or hinder in your pilot selection? Thanks. :confused:

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Hermit said:
I guess from the lack of responce from my previous question that no one else has heard yet either regarding this years scholarships. I take that as a good thing, my first taste of Navy "hurry up and wait". Has anyone else planned on an aviation major (flying) at either ER, Purdue, OU etc? Has anyone taken an aviation major and did it help or hinder in your pilot selection? Thanks. :confused:

Having an aviation major doesn't really do anything for your pilot selection. The only immediate benefit of having an "Aviation Technology" type degree is that you get more points for a technical major when it comes time for selection. As far as college academics goes, your GPA does most of the talking (the whole engineer vs liberal arts doesnt pull a whole lot of weight right now) and of course, the ASTB. I would assume that having a fair ammount of flight experience would allow you to smoke the ASTB, most of the flying majors i go to school with have done quite well. Hope that helps.

Noze

Reactions: bch

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Steve Wilkins said:
Aviation Technologoy is not a technical degree.

According to a brief that was given by my XO, there are three different point levels for majors in the Aviation Selection process. They are Engineering, Technology, and Liberal Arts. I believe that AvTech is included in the technical category.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Unless things have changed, it is only Technical (engineering, applied math type stuff) and liberal arts.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
There are most definitely 3 categories now. Engineering gets 100% of the points, Tech gets 85% and Liberal Arts gets 75%.

palatinexc

Student
Not going for an Aviation degree but I will be attending Purdue next year and doing NROTC.
Hey Nozeman, I've been accepted and assigned to Purdue for NROTC already, should I expect to hear anything from the Purdue unit soon or will that not come until summer? Thanks in advance.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
palatinexc said:
Not going for an Aviation degree but I will be attending Purdue next year and doing NROTC.
Hey Nozeman, I've been accepted and assigned to Purdue for NROTC already, should I expect to hear anything from the Purdue unit soon or will that not come until summer? Thanks in advance.

They'll get in touch with you pretty early on in the summer. They'll ask you to get sized up for uniform items etc and give you a basic rundown of the Freshman Orientation that we run for the newbies. Don't worry, they'll contact you about it. But if you have any specific questions about the unit feel free to PM or email me.

noze

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
NozeMan said:
There are most definitely 3 categories now. Engineering gets 100% of the points, Tech gets 85% and Liberal Arts gets 75%.

Interesting. That is cool though, at least it gives guys who get a technical BA some credit they deserve

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
Interesting. That is cool though, at least it gives guys who get a technical BA some credit they deserve

Yeah, I remember during designation, they would give more points to soft sciences than liberal arts, but less than engineering. I guess technical and soft sciences are grouped together.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys can call it what you want for BDCP or OCS purposes or whatever, aviation technology is not a technical degree. I obviously wouldn't classify it as a liberal arts degree either, but it certainly isn't technical in the traditional sense.

beau

I got an Aviaition degree from OU. AFTER being selected for SNA and going to primary, I thought that it did help out some. Besides the basic monkey skills (what IFS should do for you), I had a solid understanding of Instrument Flying (RI's/BI's in Primary), when other people were a little be lost at first.....but by no means did I have a Huge advantage. There are some guys that get down to primary with a butt load of hours only to get bad attitudes and wash out, or do poorly. So really if you get selected, go in thinking you know nothing and can learn a lot. And be prepared to relearn a lot.

As far as selection goes.......I do not think it means crap......especially if you have marginal grades. Selection for Navy programs is anyones guess. I really dont know that much about Service Selection process, except that Grades are the most important thing period! Especially nowadays with the tight numbers, I would be hitting the books like mad to ensure a pilot/NFo spot. I think your grades only count through your first semester of your senior year, so if you have been slacking off in College to this point, you might want to consider A. working you ass off, or B. getting ready for a career other than Aviation.

Hermit

Thanks, Beau. That is the kind of info I was looking for. How did you enjoy the program at OU? Thanks, Go Sooners.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An engineering degree does exactly squat for you in the fleet, and unless you have dreams (unrealistic as they may be) to go to TPS, it seems like wasted effort, selection issues aside. The guys in the fleet who call themselves "engineers" despite the fact that they've never worked in the field are usually big tools and are made fun of daily. It's like getiing an International Relations degree and calling yourself a diplomat. None of those technical degrees will help you fly. I did it with a 10th grade education, literally.

Brett

beau

Loved the program at OU. Because I Love flying. Nothing better than sitting in some boring Gen Ed Class, then an hour later you are flying a solo hop in the area busting out that Commercial rating. Truthfully, civilian aviation (to this point anyway) cant touch what I'm doing now.....your first flight in a T-34 should put things in perspective(especially your solo's). OU's program/degree was good for me to realize just how luck I am right now.......if some of my civilian friends only knew what I've gotten to do. Two different worlds......

Status
Not open for further replies.